Bleeding Maguras (pump Water All The Way Through Or Not?)

Basically i know how to bleed the brakes, (Magura HS33 Syringe Bleed), but when i'm pumping the oil out, (replacing with water), do i have to pump the water all the way through until the water comes out or just just until there is no oil coming out?

Plus is using the oil better, yes or no?

Many Thanks

Joe

Yea, basically keep pushing the syringe until you see no more oil coming out. Although, it may pay to take the brake apart and clean it individually before filling with water. I did this recently and as soon as i pumped the lever, a load of oil came out and this was after it hadn't been bled with oil for months.

do i have to pump the water all the way through until the water comes out or just just until there is no oil coming out?

Plus is using the oil better, yes or no?

That's the same thing

I, and a lot of people on here, would say that water is "better". It's more responsive and gives a lighter lever feel

Ben

Edited by Benjaminge

First use your syringe to pump a good amount of water through thus getting rid of old oil. Now get yourself a bucket of water, submerge your whole brake set then whilst under the water take your bleed bolt off the brake cylinder and pump your lever a good few times. Replace your bolt (still under the water) then repeat with the brake lever. Bolt out, pump your lever a good few times, bolt back in. All the time keeping your ENTIRE brake set under the water. works for me.

Edited by gathsano

Get yourself a bucket of water, submerge your whole brake set then whilst under the water take your bleed bolt off the brake cylinder and pump your lever a good few times. Replace your bolt (still under the water) then repeat with the brake lever. Bolt out, pump your lever a good few times, bolt back in. All the time keeping your ENTIRE brake set under the water. Works spot on for me.

Going to do it using a syringe seeing most people have said it is the easier technique.

Joe

Get yourself a bucket of water, submerge your whole brake set then whilst under the water take your bleed bolt off the brake cylinder and pump your lever a good few times. Replace your bolt (still under the water) then repeat with the brake lever. Bolt out, pump your lever a good few times, bolt back in. All the time keeping your ENTIRE brake set under the water. Works spot on for me.

But saying that do i only need to take one bolt off( the one on lever) and just continually pump it then replace it ..// etc.

Would i need to take off whole brake set because if so i cba!

Also if i were to do it would i have to replace the water after every pump?

Joe

Easiest if you have another person to help you ;)

1.) Puts some newspaper down or do it in the garden.

2.) Set the lever so its horizontal (bleed screw at highest position).

3.) Undo the bleed bolt on the slave cylinder.

4.) Fill the syringe and hose with water and screw it into the slave cylinder, rest it against the seat stays or somewhere handy.

5.) Undo the bleed screw from the lever.

6.) Screw the bleed hose to the lever and put the free end into a bottle that your mate is holding.

7.) Slowly push the syringe down, you should see dirty oil flowing through the tube out of the lever into the bottle, when you run out of syringe leave it attached.

8.) Get your mate to put a finger over the end of the hose attached to the lever.

9.) Pop the syringe off the end of the tube and refill it with water (because you mate is blocking the other hose off it shouldnt flow backwards) Try to not get any airbubbles in the end of the syringe or the tube.

10.) Get your mate to take his finger off the end and pump the syringe again.

11.) Repeat 7-10 above untill you have clear water running out of the hose connected to the lever - a few spots of oil wont hurt though. If there are air bubbles coming out then you still have air in the system and it will be spongey.

12.) Once you have a solid stream of water without bubbles coming through the lever then leave the syringe in place, unscrew the bleed hose and put the bleed screw back in the lever.

13.) Unscrew the syringe and hose from the slave cylinder and put the bleed bolt back in.

14.) Check the brake works and isnt spongey then clean up the mess :D

The first couple of times may not work, jsut try again and you will soon get used to it and it wont take long - submerged bleeding is easier though :D

Edited by forteh

First use your syringe to pump a good amount of water through thus getting rid of old oil. Now get yourself a bucket of water, submerge your whole brake set then whilst under the water take your bleed bolt off the brake cylinder and pump your lever a good few times. Replace your bolt (still under the water) then repeat with the brake lever. Bolt out, pump your lever a good few times, bolt back in. All the time keeping your ENTIRE brake set under the water. works for me.

Easyiest way. Might take a few trys