Disc Brake

ZHI_Chris

IS mount and POST mounts are different types of caliper/fork interfaces, for example manitou forks are post mount whereas magura forks (and I think pretty much, if not all trials forks are IS mount).

Oh, and obviously post calipers and post forks go together, same for IS mount caliper/forks.

Check this picture:

techdisktabtypeir6.jpg

Edited by Dani.

IS mount and POST mounts are different types of caliper/fork interfaces, for example manitou forks are post mount whereas magura forks (and I think pretty much, if not all trials forks are IS mount).

Oh, and obviously post calipers and post forks go together, same for IS mount caliper/forks.

Check this picture:

techdisktabtypeir6.jpg

Thanks

as the pics above show the difference between the two forks mounts. its kinda irrelevant for us trials guys as far as i know all trials forks come with IS mount forks. disc brakes come in both versions, the hope mono trials still use IS mount, but avid, formula, hayes etc all use post mount with an adaptor; which makes the whole what mount do you have issue irrelevant.

on a side note: that first brake looks like a hayes/hygia copy... what make is it?

Edited by craigjames

As above... except post mount sucks and IS doesn't (Y)

Why do you say that? Apart from the risk of threading an expensive pair of forks? I know a lot of the mountain bike world is moving over to post mount.

I guess I should have added an 'IMO', haha.

No Adam, you're not allowed opinions. You just state trials facts :P

I've never had a problem with the post mount on my XC forks, seems straight enough, especially when there's the tri-align business built into most discs these days. Do any trials forks have post mount?

Didn't realise the tri-align thing was on so many brakes... (Y) I've only seen it on Avids you see! I guess 'straight enough' isn't straight enough for me, haha :$ Possibly a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to brakes...

The only trials forks I've seen with post mount are the new Atomz ones... I just don't really get the advantage of post mount, other than the obvious mechanical one (bolts not taking any load).

Only Avid call it Tri-align but I thought most discs had a similar lever of adjustment? I think post mount is neater, especially when you get to running bigger discs and you can use a 180/185mm-specific fork or whatever without the need for any adapters. But I don't really have strong feelings on the matter :P

Ah cool, tis possible, all the ones I can picture just bolt straight on though.

Yeah that is true, although in some ways it's just as 'constraining' as IS - you could just use IS at +20mm, +40mm position etc in the same way...

Haha, I'm too passionate in my attempt to banish post mount :P

well as alll suspension fork manufacturers are moving towards post mount i can see IS gradually fading out. the main advantage from a manufacturer stand point is that you only have to produce one type of calliper and then you can get the different IS mouint for different rotors, mounting configurations.... IS, boxxer, fox40 etc rather than what hope used to doand produce lots of different half callipers, which with the mono body callipers is really impossible/ not cost effective.

There is no problem with IS mounts, once you have the caliper set up in the right place, you can take it off and put it on again, and as long as the washers go back in the right place, the caliper will return to it's original position.

When I had post mounts, I would spend ages trying to get the caliper in the right place, because when you tightened the bolts up, the b*****d thing kept moving.

There is nothing wrong with IS, so whats the point in changing.

So can you run adaptors for bigger sized discs with post-mounts on forks?

If not, that type of mounting system doesn't leave the rider much personal prefurance to disc size.

When I had post mounts, I would spend ages trying to get the caliper in the right place, because when you tightened the bolts up, the b*****d thing kept moving.

I personaly love the ease of seting up disc brakes this way (like on the BB7's) it just makes life easier IMO.

So can you run adaptors for bigger sized discs with post-mounts on forks?

Yes - you can always run a bigger disc. Just not a smaller one. So if your forks come with a 203 mount already, which happens on some DH forks, you're a bit stuck for options. But I doubt anyone cares.