Router Advice Please

Mr Plod

Hey guys. Upgraded my internet to the 20mb Virgin Media Broadband package but now my Actiontec router doesn't work with the new modem they gave me so I'm in need of a new router. I will be using it to connect my laptop and my Xbox360 but I don't want to have any USB adaptors like I did with the Actiontec one. So could someone suggest me a router to buy please? Thanks

If you actually get the 20mb lucky sod, its not in use according to the person i rang up till August.

Well I meant the package. Anyway I can actually check what I get? In Walthamstow we've had the Fibre Optic cable laid so apparently we were one of the first areas to get it done but my mate who lives in Buckhurst Hill (The next town over) Isn't getting the Fibre Optics for ages haha

I've had a linksys WRT45GS and have a D-Link DIR-635 (also supports 802.11n) at the moment both using the modem they give you.

Also im assuming this is the 'Up To' 20mb connection that they offer, if so then this is what i have at the moment and can tell that from monitoring my connection speed recently, at around 7:30-8:00 each day my download and upload speeds get throttled and dont return to normal until 1am but then would only really affect you if you download lots. Also on average (dependent upon the host you are downloading from) i usually get around 1.2-1.8 mb/s rarely ever see it go past 2 which is what it should be able to!

Edited by Bondy

Found a program that can optimise internet connections

Before i was getting 3800kbps, now im getting 12208kbps...

TCP Optimizer

Select the speed with the slide bar your supposed to be getting, choose network card from the list, click optimised settings at the bottom and reboot. Sorted.