Interview Tomorrow...

MadManMike

Firstly please only post if you have serious advice, and probably not worth posting if you're under 16 :)

I've got an interview for Online Marketing Executive at a local Holiday company (They own 3 parks locally). The job description was really vague - what kind of thing do you think I'd be doing? I was thinking networking with Travel Agents, Holiday Price Comparison sites, designing adverts for local / national press... Sound about right?

Although I've done well in past interviews I'm a little out of practice - not only do I want money quickly I really want this job as it sounds a lot more interesting than the shite Admin Assistant stuff I've also been going for.

So, any tips?

I'll be going in a pimp light grey suit that cost me £300, nice brown leather shoes with a white shirt and silver tie so smartness is not an issue.

Any idea on the types of questions they may ask me?

Like I say I've always got the job before, but I feel out of practice and want to have the best possible chance :)

Well to be honest I'll be pretty fooked if I don't get a job soon!

Thanks in advance, TF always has the answer :)

I can't really help you much. But I would try and find out what your role would be before you go.

'What do you think your role would be within the company?' will almost definitely be one of the questions.

Good luck!

to that I would probably reply:

"I would hope to help promote the company and help the company grow. And hopefully progress within the company". (Is it wrong to talk about promotion / climbing the ladder before you even have the job?)

First impressions are everything, go for a strong (not breaking the interviewers hand) handshake as they greet you. Be confident but not cocky if you get what i mean, answer questions in detail but dont answer as if you know everything. dont slouch in the chair either, sit upright and/or forwards but not in their face and make sure you listen to everything. Im sure you will do fine though, good luck matey :)

I tried to answer the "What do you think your role would be...."

And I could only come up with that one line... I feel I should give a much longer answer, but I can't think what to say. I'm gonna look like a right melon in the interview if they ask me.

To be honest I don't have an awful lot of experience in that field, but I do have some - I'm guessing if I show a real willingness to learn they will like me.

Find out as much as possible out about the specific role that you are applying for and the industry that the company opperate in. Nothing looks worse than if you dont know what you are applying for. I appreciate that it could be tricky if the job description is vague but work with the information that you've got. You know that it is for an 'Online Marketing Executive' so Google the job title and prep yourself on what exactly it is that an Online Marketing Executive typically does. Research your industry and make sure you know of any recent news/ stories that might affect the company. Drop an industry based question at the end perhaps, it shows you have taken a genuine interest in the role and industry you are applying for.

Go in there with as many examples to hand as possible. They want to know if you are a team player? Give them specific examples based on previous work/ education/ life experiences that highlight how you meet and exceed what they are after.

What are your Strength/ weaknesses is a bog standard interview question so be ready for it, examples to back your claims up. Always tricky to list a weakness but make sure you have one other wise you'll come across as cocky. Something that isnt too major and isnt a prerequisite for the job you are going for. But you can go on to say how you are trying to improve in that area.

Most of all though go into the interview with confidence.

I'm sure you have already heard most of that before and probably know it anyway but maybe some of it can help you, even if its just a little bit

I'd do a bit of research into the company (if you haven't already) - who the competitors are, the market, their future plans etc and think about how you could fit in with this.

Also, I'd try and backup your answers to questions with examples, as they'll probably be looking for situations in other jobs/college/uni/any thing else you've done where you can demonstrate you're good enough and you have they skills they're after.

I wouldn't say it was wrong to talk about climbing the ladder (or mentioning progressingin your answers) as it shows you've got drive and ambition and want to stay with the company for a while.

I'd try and think of some questions to ask them as they'll probably ask if you have any, but if they've covered everything then I'd tell them - I wouldn't ask a question for the sake of asking one.

Good luck!

"What do you think your role would be...."

What they really want to know is have you read and understood the job description and the job that you are applying for. A lot of people will see a Marketing role for example and just apply for it without having any real knowledge of what they would be letting themselves in for- which is never a good thing from an employers perspective. Even just repeating the main tasks listed on there will show that you know what you are applying for. You said it was vague but re-read it and read it again. Make sure it sticks in your head. I wouldnt mention moving up the career ladder and progressing at that point as that is an altogether different question.

"Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years time" ....

Now thats when you need to mention progressing. You are better off saying that you want to progress as its a good quality to be ambitious. No need to say that you want the interviewers job though :P

Find out as much as possible out about the specific role that you are applying for and the industry that the company opperate in. Nothing looks worse than if you dont know what you are applying for. I appreciate that it could be tricky if the job description is vague but work with the information that you've got. You know that it is for an 'Online Marketing Executive' so Google the job title and prep yourself on what exactly it is that an Online Marketing Executive typically does. Research your industry and make sure you know of any recent news/ stories that might affect the company. Drop an industry based question at the end perhaps, it shows you have taken a genuine interest in the role and industry you are applying for.

Go in there with as many examples to hand as possible. They want to know if you are a team player? Give them specific examples based on previous work/ education/ life experiences that highlight how you meet and exceed what they are after.

What are your Strength/ weaknesses is a bog standard interview question so be ready for it, examples to back your claims up. Always tricky to list a weakness but make sure you have one other wise you'll come across as cocky. Something that isnt too major and isnt a prerequisite for the job you are going for. But you can go on to say how you are trying to improve in that area.

Most of all though go into the interview with confidence.

I'm sure you have already heard most of that before and probably know it anyway but maybe some of it can help you, even if its just a little bit

I have heard most it before but it's good to hear again mate, it all helps - I actually googled the job description before you posted to see the kind of things one would do. It seems I was pretty much right, joining affiliate schemes, networking, advertising... It's all stuff I can do, but for some reason I'm worried. Never normally worry before interviews :S

In answer to their bog-standard question:

"Whilst working at One Centre [My last workplace] I had to be able to manage my own workload and work on my own initiative and at times "hold the fort" so to speak if a member was off sick or out of the office. I learn new skills quickly, and I am always keen to learn. From working at One Centre and then freelancing I have a good grasp of the internet and how to approach a specific audience or area."

I'm struggling for a weakness though (Not being big headed, I really can't think of anything that won't cripple the interview!)

Thanks mate

"What do you think your role would be...."

What they really want to know is have you read and understood the job description and the job that you are applying for. A lot of people will see a Marketing role for example and just apply for it without having any real knowledge of what they would be letting themselves in for- which is never a good thing from an employers perspective. Even just repeating the main tasks listed on there will show that you know what you are applying for. You said it was vague but re-read it and read it again. Make sure it sticks in your head. I wouldnt mention moving up the career ladder and progressing at that point as that is an altogether different question.

So something along the lines of:

"My role would be to get the company's name around, network with sites and reach potential customers using price comparison sites such as [list examples of Holiday comparison sites], affiliation schemes and improve Search Engine results so the company is listed more effectively."

I was going to put "Boost sales" but that's more down to the sales team than Marketing I guess?

I'm struggling for a weakness though (Not being big headed, I really can't think of anything that won't cripple the interview!)

Can't really think of any of the top of my head - but whatever you choose make sure you can say what you're doing to get around them, as they'll probably be looking for someone who can realise their own faults/weaknesses and can take actions to overcome them.

What I've tended to do is find a good quality but present a negative side to it. That way you are still shown in a good light, but you are seen to be in recognition that it can have an adverse effect.

For example, in the interview for my current job (Structural analyst for an engine manufacturer) I was asked the same question. My response was "my attention to detail". Generally this is seen as a good quality to have, but I presented it in the light of being a hinderance to getting work done on time, obviously being careful not to suggest that I can't deliver results on time, but I think you get the idea I'm putting across.

Good luck with it mate, the nerves just mean you want this more than anything else you've gone for in the past (Y)

Can't really think of any of the top of my head - but whatever you choose make sure you can say what you're doing to get around them, as they'll probably be looking for someone who can realise their own faults/weaknesses and can take actions to overcome them.

What I've tended to do is find a good quality but present a negative side to it. That way you are still shown in a good light, but you are seen to be in recognition that it can have an adverse effect.

For example, in the interview for my current job (Structural analyst for an engine manufacturer) I was asked the same question. My response was "my attention to detail". Generally this is seen as a good quality to have, but I presented it in the light of being a hinderance to getting work done on time, obviously being careful not to suggest that I can't deliver results on time, but I think you get the idea I'm putting across.

Good luck with it mate, the nerves just mean you want this more than anything else you've gone for in the past (Y)

Cheers guys, really appreciate the help :)

I'm struggling to find one relative to the position, that wouldn't cripple it. If I said my weakness was attention to detail that would be partially true, to give an example - When I build a website I always keep going back and slightly changing things or modifying text. I guess that's not really a weakness though is it? Arggggghhhh!

The other reply that I have used in the past is to admit that you aren't aware of any but state that you hope that your collegues would point out any so that you can improve on them. I've never had any bad experiences using that.

Weakness- obviously nothing that is listed as essential on the job description/ personal spec. You can always turn it around by stating something that has previously been a weakness for you (even if it hasnt been) but then say how you recognised that you needed to develop in that area, what you did to improve, and the end result. For example.....

"when I have been asked to name a weakness quite often I have said something a long the lines of 'Organisation skills used to be a problem for me, but having been to University it heped me to improve in this area. I learnt to keep lists of upcoming deadlines and prioritise my workload. I'm now extremely organised and I never missed a deadline whilst I was at Uni."

It is such a common question to come up and bloody tricky too. Better to have something lined up though- nobody is perfect and you cant develop and improve unless you recognise your own weaknesses and areas for development. Sounds complete and utter bullshit (and quite probably is) but that is how employers will see it.

At the end of the day though dont get too hung up on preprepared answers to specific questions. Yes make sure you have gone over likely/ possible questions and answers but there will always be some that you will miss.

The other reply that I have used in the past is to admit that you aren't aware of any but state that you hope that your collegues would point out any so that you can improve on them. I've never had any bad experiences using that.

Ah, clever! That's a good one!

Weakness- obviously nothing that is listed as essential on the job description/ personal spec. You can always turn it around by stating something that has previously been a weakness for you (even if it hasnt been) but then say how you recognised that you needed to develop in that area, what you did to improve, and the end result. For example.....

"when I have been asked to name a weakness quite often I have said something a long the lines of 'Organisation skills used to be a problem for me, but having been to University it heped me to improve in this area. I learnt to keep lists of upcoming deadlines and prioritise my workload. I'm now extremely organised and I never missed a deadline whilst I was at Uni."

It is such a common question to come up and bloody tricky too. Better to have something lined up though- nobody is perfect and you cant develop and improve unless you recognise your own weaknesses and areas for development. Sounds complete and utter bullshit (and quite probably is) but that is how employers will see it.

At the end of the day though dont get too hung up on preprepared answers to specific questions. Yes make sure you have gone over likely/ possible questions and answers but there will always be some that you will miss.

If I was to say something like:

"Prioritising my workload used to be an issue, but after helping to run One Centre and working in busy offices previously I have learnt to deal with this by setting myself deadlines for each task rather than just working normally"

Reading that back it sound shit :(

I wish I was in the film Click and could speed past the interview!

It doesnt sound that bad to be honest. But then it all falls down to how genuine you make it sound. If it sounds too preprepared then yes that particular method of dealing with the "weakness" question can come across a bit shit and unsincere and as if you are trying to dodge the question. But if you say it like you mean it then it can be quite an impressive answer I think. Of course it's totally up to you- maybe if you do have a genuine weakness that you have managed to improve on then you can use this type of response. If you are bullshitting then yeah, maybe best not to otherwise it could come across unsincere

Well it's true to be honest, I used to be given a pile of work and start from the top.

Now I go through everything, see which needs to be done first and go from there.

So yeah it's a sincere answer :)

Thanks for your help everyone, really really grateful!

Fingers crossed :ermm:

Just got back :)

I think it went well, but you can't really tell I guess...

The weakness question was a good'un, used a variety of answers but made them positive :)

yeah, best for that (for anyone else who wants to know) is to say weaknesses that are sort-of strengths, like, "sometimes I get really worked up about fine details, but I find its useful helping me perfect my work." or "Sometimes I find myself talking to people a lot, but its good because knowing your colleagues better helps us to work as a team."

Anyway, good luck, hopefully the phonecall will come soon, and it will be a yes (of course!)

Edited by Disasterboy