Built The Rim..need Help With The Truing

Bionic_Boy

James, you need to make sure that the spokes have been tightened up with the same amount of force on each spoke making sure some arnt as tight as others, as it will pull its to one side.

Put your wheel in your frame and set your brakes up so they can be used as a marker, this will be your truing stand. Then go round the spokes and tighten the nipples evenly, and if its wobbily loosen the one next to it and tighten the one you need, this should bring it into line, have a play with it and see how it goes.

The way I true my wheels: -

Get a zip tie and stick it round the fork leg/seat stay and cut the tail to a length that you can set so it touches the rim - I use the zip tie rather than the brake blocks because you can adjust it as much as you like, it can be set so that it just kisses the rim at the high spots so you can see which bits need pulling over :)

I only use park spoke keys, whilst theyre more expensive theyre the most comfortable Ive used and they dont have a habit of mullering the nipples :)

Always working from the valve hole in the same direction can keep things simpler.

Tension each spoke in turn working round the wheel (I usually keep going until the the spoke thread is flush with the top of the nipple head but that depends on spoke lengths)

Once you have done a complete wheel then check the spokes for tension, if theyre not tight enough then go round again and tighten them half turn at a time till the wheel is tight - with any luck this should make the wheel round :D

If the wheel needs dishing (pulling over to one side) then loosen one spoke on the one side and tighen the next. eg: if the rim needs pulling to the left then you loosen the 1st spoke on the right hub flange by 1 turn and tighten the next spoke by 1 turn (should be on the left hub flange unless you spooned the lacing :D) Once you have done the whole rim check it for dish again and repeat as necessary.

If the wheel is egged and you know the rim is true its usually (in my experience) a lacing problem, check the spoke tensions and the amount of thread sticking though the nipple, also ensure the nipple is seated properly in the rim.

Once youre happy with the rough dishing of the rim and its nominally central in the frame then you just need to get it straight - again in my experience if the spoke tensions are pretty even then it will be a straight build.

Spin the wheel and note where the high spots are, set the zip tie so that it touches at the high spots only. Turn the wheel slowly until you hit a high spot and pull the rim over as you did when dishing, keep working round the wheel progressively closing down the tolerance on the zip tie and you will get a straight wheel. If you find the dishing comes slightly out of line whilst truing simply dish it over exactly as before.

Once the wheel is straight, round and central you can give the spokes a final tension (or you may find that they will be pretty tight after truing) and just check it all.

Finally before you put it back together it helps to stress relieve the spokes to help them bed in after tensioning - simply grab 2 sets of spokes where they cross over on the same side and squeeze them together along the lateral axis of the wheel, you should hear them ping as they settle against each other. Work your way around the wheel untill its stopped pinging, alternatively just go ride the f**ker and it will bed itself in :)

Go ride for a bit, take a spoke key with you and check the wheel every so often, if you find a wobble on it then simply true it and retension the spokes :)

The way I true my wheels: -

Get a zip tie ...etc

wiki?

Awesome guide forteh, really useful, i do it exatly the same as you so theres not much i can add really....although, where you "ping" the spokes together, i put the wheel on the floor and lean on the rim..then repeat all the way round and on both sides; i find it does a far better job

Edited by Alex Dark