Weight Loss

txt2007

to get the bike in to a state of weightlessness, you could tie lots of balloons with helium to the bike, if it was inside the tubing, you would have to compress it to fit it all in

Doesn't work like that Ash... Helium floats because it is less dense than air... if you pushed loads into it then it would be more dense than air (remember higher pressue, means more moles of gas you can fit in the same area) so it would make it heavier than air which would obv. have an adverse affect.

think ur mistaking helium for hydrogen . helium isnt flamable .

Oh f**k those inert gas's.... i didn't have a periodic table to hand sorry

I'm glad you said that...I was begining to think i was odd for not wanting to fill my bike with helium.

If you really wanted to save weight though, you could always try air-trials. Kind of along the same lines as air guitar only slightly cooler! As you'd only be imagining having a bike, it could be as light or as heavy as you like. Hell, you could have it filled with nitrogen and the tubes could be made out of gold!

Remember you heard it here first...air trials is definately an up and coming sport...watch this space!

As a chemist that dose not make any sense, helium is lighter because is has a lower relative atomic mass of 4

That's a myth propagated by the oil corporations, the fascist American government and balloon manufacturers. Helium is actually lighter because it contains lots of negative weight molecules (NWMs) - about 40 000 NWMs per mol. It's the relative density of NWMs compared to air (which has around 40 NWMs per mol) that makes helium float. If everyone knew that, we'd be able to fly everywhere in helium-filled cars, but the oil companies don't want this so they cover it up. Look it up on Wikipedia.

So yeah, fill up your frame with helium at high pressure

The above post is brought to you by real science fact.