gzus11

Hello all,

New member signing in. I have been looking around here a bit and there is plenty good information to read.

My bike history has been awful, the last two are GT freestyle and Diamond Back joker BMXs both got for less than a fiver.

The last couple of months I have been jumping the DB around my local skate park. I have modified a magura rim brake onto

the DB but that is as much as I'm doing with that bike.

I have started building a kind fo jump bike, I'm not really sure how to class it. but im sure you all can provide a good description.

If any of you are interested in any build pictures just ask and I will either link to them or post them here if I can.

So far I have built the front wheel using a grey Simple Eject flangless hub, 45mm wide drilled rim from 24seven bikes, and maxxis

hookworm tyres. Installed Magura Hs33, cranks and I have a single speed conversion kit for the rear hub when it arrives.

Edited by gzus11

Ok I have some Pictures for you all.

First up spoking the Simple Eject front hub to the rim.

2549461324_e8efa6ec8d.jpg

The hub is to be built in a four cross pattern, and came together surprizingly easily

This is the completed wheel that just needs a final trueing.

2548647697_4bb1617ae5.jpg

Some other pictures, magura mounted

2548661143_1c505f2ddf.jpg

Hookworm Tyres

2548674229_281c792452.jpg

I will uadate pictures as it progresses.

All comments welcome

If you want to use th ebike for trials and keep your head in one piece, i'd advise some high-rollers. Hell, anything other than hookworms!

I used to have some on my dj bike, everything was good till the floor got slightly damp. I wouldn't trust them grip-wise for trials.

The bike's looking good dude! The wheel looks really good!

And congratulations on getting validated so quickly (Y)

Matt

Cheers guys.

I'm just getting into trials and jumping around, so I decided to try build something up from parts I have

seen and liked, the Eject hub is a beatiful piece of design and was a pleasure to build on.

I'll take on any advice given in here, but im going to try stuff out and see how it suits my style and skills.

I had trouble in the wet on a similar tyre on my bmx, so I try not to push anything when its not dry, I got

the hookworms for a decent price and really like the look of them so ill give them a go.

Pictures will keep coming.

What are a good fork (solid and suspension) that will take Hs33's these large tyres.

Edited by gzus11

What are a good fork (solid and suspension) that will take Hs33's these large tyres.

IF it's more trials orientated stuff you're after, have a look on tartybikes.co.uk, loads on there!

Get any with four-bolt mounts and you'll be fine, i'd highly reccommend some echo urbans (Y)

What pressure can rim tape realistically withstand?

These tyres are rated 65 Psi max, I want to run the tyre at a

reasonably high pressure to reduce rolling resistance and the

risk of kerb pinch (punctures).

I assume that if the rim tape ruptures this will be bad for the

inner tube and me at the same time.

If anyone has experience please share info or any pictures

could be interesting.

It'll be ok for a fair bit of pressure as it'll be around the entire rim, and the tape is pretty tough anyway.

What kind of riding will you actually be doing? Most people wont run any higher than 30 psi!

Matt

Edited by Skoze

I'll mostly be using it to get about instead of my car, other than that I'll be at local skateparks

learning balance, hops and jumping off ramps etc. As I get used to it and more confident I'll be

trying new things.

I have them at 30 Psi for now, the tyres feel firm enough, i had Bmx tyres up to 60 Psi and it

made a difference to controll and confidence.

I need to get this built soon and take it out for a blast.

Rear hub arrived this morning, will get built today.

2557285001_a6e4e888ff.jpg

Ringle superduper8 with 4 bearings, aluminium axle QR.

2557286985_9149dd2175.jpg

A few other bits came in too.

Onza t-rex hanger deore QR skewer

2557278851_44ee418477.jpg

and gusset simple tensioner

2558105186_178b698e1a.jpg

More coming soon.

A bit more for you all.

Very slow progress waiting for parts to arrive.

Cane creek headset arrived this week, nice sealed bearings all round

2572760009_502fa82538.jpg

Pressed into the frame using and old axle and two pegs

2572778535_594ce21bb0.jpg

2572773255_bf3a05e991.jpg

All that is left now is seat post and clamp, forks and bleed front brakes.

Edited by gzus11

It's done, I got the forks yesterday and finished the build, bled the brakes and took it for a spin.

2584776093_3252b678eb.jpg

After the quick shake down, the forks need a lillte more preload but are great with ETA/lockout

and I need a slightly bigger chainring or smaller rear sprocket, but that is only to get a little more

speed out of it.

It is a real smoothe ride, and in the wet the tyres still had good grip for general riding.

Any way thanks for looking.

Ps are there any recommendations for good brake boosters in red, and where to get them?

Cheers

I had the bike out to unit 23, and it rides well, easy drop ins and I am getting more comfortable on it.

Slight problem though, sheared the chainring bolts and buckled the ring.

I'm always interested to see some damage, here you go.

2589447329_de6012e09b.jpg

2590279182_c254c6b602.jpg

I have replacement 22 tooth ring and I am now on the hunt for some good bolts to get running again.

Looks nice, I'm intrigued by the DB with the magura on, show us a picture!

That saracen will do for learning the tricks on, and it would be good for old-school trials.

Come out on some rides, and ride some other bikes, and maybe at some point you'll feel like an upgrade, in which case, we're all here, and can help you choose.

maggie bmx when I get home.

cheers I got this frame cheap and figured it should be decent to try and learn a few things on, I'm not going

hardcore any thime soon so will be good.

These are the first spring forks i have ever had, they are a little soft now, needing a bit more preload to take

my weight but the eta is good locking them down to the last 25mm of travel, just enough to reduce landing/impact

shocks up into my wrists.

If I'm upgrading ill be looking at Identiti as I like their frames, or go on a quest to find a Evil Imperial.

Advise on frames will be handy aswell.

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The pegs and axle were very effective for pressing the headset cups into the frame

and one of my mates was impressed by simplicity of it, has borrowed for his new frame.

I have to say I am impressed and surprised by the Simple Eject hub, not only does it look

great (to me) it was really nice to build up and is very smooth, i spun the wheel yesterday

and it kept going for a good five minutes.

here are some pictures for Revolver

Its a DB joker I have been using as it is lighter than my GT freestyle(?)

2595030772_ee3a6af11b_b.jpg

I though i would try a maggie on it to improve the brakes, I don't do any bar spins so no

need to have gyros and all that stuff. maggie mounts reversed as U-brake studs are in a

different position to Vees.

2594194221_b5f3a4552d_b.jpg

I had to drill out the mount blocks to take the larger U studs, and was lucky with the chain

tension and wheel location lined uo with the brakes set at maximum position.

2595031100_25559fecfb_b.jpg

It's pedals have been nicked for the new bike.

Cool, that looks quite interesting (Y)

Did it work any good?

I does work well, they are better than any other brakes i have had and have more

force than the new bike as the frame is stiff and the larger studs reduce flex aswel.

Ill be pretty much using it for street, that and just riding around untill i can get better

at the basics for now.

Last installment I think. I have replaced the chainring bolts for machined down button head

hex bolts spacers and nylock nuts for strength. replaced the chainring for a middleburn 22

tooth and a 13 tooth (spare 14 th) on the rear from a Sram cassette.

2604093810_100efc6ebe_b.jpg

22-13 feels a better ratio, good feel, but still not as much top speed as bmx, but is smooth

and a comfortable enough to learn on i think.

Close up rear

2604092104_c03dc0a95d_b.jpg

Now just to get out on it and get learning