Handlebars

Are they not anodised?

If so, you'll need to buy some Mr. Muscle oven cleaner(contains caustic soda) which will strip the colour off the bars, but after this is done you will need to sand them down because the caustic soda leaves a horrible finish.

i think there anodised with a gloss finish

So you'll need to put the bars somewhere(possibly a bath) and spray the mr. muscle over them,

Leave them for about 30mins and check on them, if all of the colour has come off, wash and sand them,

If the colour is still there, put more mr. muscle on them and check every 5-10 mins.

Rather than sand them down and risk having a really crappy finish on them, buy yourself some nitro-mors. This stuff is hardcore, i used it to strip the paint off my frame. All you do is paint it onto the bars, leave for a bit. Touch it up a bit with some more, then the paint will just wipe off.

Just a note though, wear thick gloves to do this. The latex ones i used dissintegrated and so did some of the skin on my fingers...like i said...its hardcore stuff!

Available from most diy stores, B&Q etc.

Also, to lacquer the bars, use a spray lacquer (also available from B&Q etc) and apply several thin coats. Be patient with it all though, the longer you take, generally the better the finish.

Edited by Diz

Rather than sand them down and risk having a really crappy finish on them, buy yourself some nitro-mors. This stuff is hardcore, i used it to strip the paint off my frame. All you do is paint it onto the bars, leave for a bit. Touch it up a bit with some more, then the paint will just wipe off.

Just a note though, wear thick gloves to do this. The latex ones i used dissintegrated and so did some of the skin on my fingers...like i said...its hardcore stuff!

Available from most diy stores, B&Q etc.

Also, to lacquer the bars, use a spray lacquer (also available from B&Q etc) and apply several thin coats. Be patient with it all though, the longer you take, generally the better the finish.

Nitromorse won't strip anodising off its not strong enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Another cheap option is to rub the bars down with Silvo, its the equivalent to Brasso and can be bought in Tesco for about £1.80, i used it to polish up a set of anodised Shimano cranks as it removes the anodising although it is a slow process the finish is really good

Edited by davey90