Backhops, Help On Technique Please

Sabiot

Hey all. So I went out for a fairly lengthy ride today and I was trying to use a short pedal stroke to raise my front wheel and then lock the brakes to try to practice some rear wheel control. It didn't work. At all. Anyways. I thought I'd give the ol' endo and lean back technique and, after figuring out I needed to really hammer on my rear brakes, I got the front wheel up. I feel that now with some practice I'll be able to get the wheel higher and hold it there longer and such. My question has to do with correct hops. Maybe it's because I'm new but I feel like when I pull the front up that my whole body is extended (like I'm standing as though I didnt have a bike) and I wouldnt be able to jump to raise the rear wheel and do hops. Should I be trying to lift the front while retaining a somewhat crouched position? Should I be trying to jump more with my calves?

I know its hard to help without seeing it so I'm probably gunna go out later today or in the recent future and record it so you guys can see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Thanks in advance guys.

The physics of backhopping is exactly the same as that of trying to hop without a bike. To hop without a bike, first push down towards the ground with your feet. Then, when you've pushed down as far as you can, pull your feet up as suddenly as you can and they leave the ground. It's exactly the same principle that allows back wheel of a bike to leave the ground while backhopping. The difference is that your arms can contribute to the force you're pushing into the ground with (And have to unless your feet are directly above the contact patch of the back tyre - higher BB's get you closer to this) by pulling the handlebars towards you to stop the front wheel dropping as you press the bike into the ground. The harder you press into the ground the higher you'll hop.

By pulling the handlebars towards you and pushing the cranks forward while in the air you can make your hops go forward, the opposite will allow you to hop backwards (Usually the easiest direction to hop while you're learning because most people end up going past the balance point on the back wheel) and offsetting your weight to the side before taking off and moving the bike sideways in the air before landing allows for sideways hops.

Once you get a feel for it you'll wonder what the difficulty was in the first place. Watch people doing it in a few videos and look at their body position and how it changes depending what direction they're trying to hop and try to visualise the move in your head before trying it. I find thinking about the move at random while you're doing other things will make you better once you get back on your bike too...

Yeah I tried what you said and tried to actually jump. I think it has mostly to do with infamiliarity that influenced my failure.

I also theorize about moves before and after I do them. Almost every time when I'm at home having a smoke because my bike is also on my balcony I think about riding. What could I have done different, what was right, what was wrong, etc etc

Best trick i've found is to pre-position your body first while two wheels still on the ground in a trackstand.

As a baseline, elbows and knees bent half way(90 degrees)... looking down.

When you get your balance right(trackstand), do a small wheelie with a quarter crank rotation while keeping the body positionned as said earlier.

Catch the bike with your rear brake when you feel you're close to your balance point or before flipping.

Try to do a few hops using your feet.

You'll get the concept right away after doing 3-5 hops. It is just a matter of fine tuning after that.

Hope this is useful!!

Definately. It would help mroe if I could track stand. I really suck at it. Its weird, I ride left foot forward, so that means I'm supposed to turn the wheel to the right, correct? But it feels more comfortable to have the wheel turned to the side of my lead foot. Either way I cant balance well and I should dedicate a few sessions solely to that technique.

Thanks again guys. Gimme a few days and I'll post a small vid. I can do much more now so I'll be able to make at least a string of "tricksy" moves

Actually.. you don't need to trackstand forever! It is not mandatory to backhop.

Just get the position while rolling at a very slow pace until you get to a complete stop.

If you feel that your balance is not right(while stopped), roll a bit some more til the next stop! A fraction of a second of perfect balance is needed to start the "wheelie".

Repeat if needed...

I have very poor balance!

I suck at trackstand but i'm able to do 40+ backhops! Which is useless IMO!

No doubt you can do it!!

Edited by neomember

For trackstands it doesn't matter which way you turn the front wheel. The only reason to pick a preference is based on what feels more comfortable unless the toe of your leading foot catches the front wheel when you turn the wheel...

I had to use 8 hops once, but that was just showing off :P...

Getting very comfortable with trackstanding is very important for trials too - well worth practicing a few variations too:

1. Trackstand with both brakes on - balance by tipping the bike from side to side.

2. Front brake on - balance by tipping the bike again. Loading the pedals will affect balance slightly - usually easier than with both brakes on.

3. No brakes - point the front wheel uphill - balance by loading/unloading the lead pedal to make the bike roll forwards and backwards with the front wheel turned slightly.

4. Alternating front brake on and no brakes (Similar energy needs as option 3 except for this you can be pointed slightly downhill or on the flat) - balance by rolling the bike forward, putting the front brake on for a short while to stop the forward movement and them rolling backwards by pushing away from the front wheel and letting the brake off.

Options 3 and 4 will get you comfortable with rolling backwards on your bike too - very handy for positioning without having to waste energy hopping and for freaking out the local chavs who cant work out how you're going backwards but still have a freewheel...

Right on, thanks guys! I can track stand on average for about 3 seconds. But I almost always lose balance in the direction I have the wheel turned regardless of which side it's turned to as well as what foot is forward. I'm gunna go give these a shot probably tomorrow. I just woke up and my lower back is killing me. It could have to do with the fact I went riding after being awake for about 30hrs, it could be that I spent 2 hours trying to back wheel but its probably cause I slept funny. Hahaha. Later boys. Ride on