Brake Pads That Offer Modulation

Ben John-Hynes

On the front,

I have a magura,

Smooth try-all rim and zoo pads.

I find that this is too bitey and wondered if there are any pads i could replace the Zoos with that will give me modulation, like a disk.

Would a harder compound pad resolve my problem?

Or is this impossible with a magura?

get some koolstop magura pads and keep the rim clean and smooth and they last for years don't cost much and are silent and you get the ability to go down hills without going over the bars =:)

Interesting,

Do they have ANY stopping power though?

Will i be able to gap/up to front without smacking my rear wheel each time?

Interesting,

Do they have ANY stopping power though?

Will i be able to gap/up to front without smacking my rear wheel each time?

mine worked real good and yes they have stopping power when rowan johns ran a magura i believe he used them on the rear and look how good he is make a topic in the wanted section for some one would most properly ask the postage price for some then if you don't like them it won't be a big loss if you get me just try some see what you think :)

I reckon if you went for some grind specific pads you'd do ok? I was building a back wheel for my mate once, and at the time the rim hadn't been ground, so it had rock blues on a smooth rim. It was pretty much what your describing, but it didn't have enough hold for the back.

for the past 2yrs plus iv used nothing else but koolstop reds on the front. works perfect for modulation and when u want it to hold (full pressure) it will! Silent too, which i find very useful for commuting inbetween trials spots. I gap to front and find i can either use it to stop fully then switch to rear or can half pull and use it to make a smooth rolling style transition.

Cheap, Silent, Longlasting (iv only just changed em!) ... go for it.

I use a very worn grind.

mine worked real good and yes they have stopping power when rowan johns ran a magura i believe he used them on the rear and look how good he is make a topic in the wanted section for some one would most properly ask the postage price for some then if you don't like them it won't be a big loss if you get me just try some see what you think :)

good advice, but punctuation? try that in one breath...

for the past 2yrs plus iv used nothing else but koolstop reds on the front. works perfect for modulation and when u want it to hold (full pressure) it will! Silent too, which i find very useful for commuting inbetween trials spots. I gap to front and find i can either use it to stop fully then switch to rear or can half pull and use it to make a smooth rolling style transition.

Cheap, Silent, Longlasting (iv only just changed em!) ... go for it.

I use a very worn grind.

THAT was exactly what i wanted to hear,

Thanks everyone!

xD

Ummmm....

Anyone got any cool stop reds they want to give away?

:P

...you could try...misaligning your brake pads? lol I did this last year. I had echo pads, and when they faced the rim perfectly, it would bite too much. So, made one side a tad crooked (one end of the pad touched the rim before the other) and the brake was far more modulable...but still had hold...

I know others wont recommend this...but see what you think?

Grinds are good as well for added modulation.

Ummmm....

Anyone got any cool stop reds they want to give away?

:P

I had a couple of sets but I stripped them down and gave the backings to someone, if the pad material is still intact and I can faind it then youre welcome to them :)

If you want a little more hold and bite over what the Koolstop Reds deliver, then get Magura Browns ;)

Still loads of modulation, but they actually hold well (I used them on the rear with a light grind for a few months, so more than capable for gaps to front) !

If you want a little more hold and bite over what the Koolstop Reds deliver, then get Magura Browns ;)

Still loads of modulation, but they actually hold well (I used them on the rear with a light grind for a few months, so more than capable for gaps to front) !

amen.