Round The World Trip

531joshua

Hi all. I'm going into the last year in 6th form now and I'm considering taking a gap year at the end of year 13 to travel around the world. I know very few people get this great opportunity, but has anyone on this forum ever travelled around the world?

I'm just looking for hints and tips, and a bit of advice from anyone with experience..... I wouldn't know where to start with the whole thing! I've had a quick look on Google and what not, but can't really find much helpful stuff (http://www.thetravellerslounge.co.uk/planning/). Saying that, i'm wanting to do the trip on a motorbike, which is totally different to the more common way of public transport/trekking and so on.

If you've got anything at all you think may help me in planning the trip, what i'd do first etc, please add.

Thanks for looking :)

We booked part of our euro trip with STA and they were crap. Might have been the branch we used but still?

For the first hostel we got booked into rooms which dont exist. This resulted in having to move rooms 3 out of 4 days.

My friends insurance details also turned up the morning we left.

Also if your going through paris, bruge or berlin use the St Christopher hostels as they are all very nice, modern and friendly.

Matt

Thanks for the advice :) I know it would most likely be harder, but I was wanting to do the trip pretty much all by myself, as in, not have some big company do everything (accomodation, travel, and so on), in my view I was wanting it to just be me, the bike and the road kinda thing..... sounds quite mad i guess but i think it would be such a great experience.

I just used STA travel for the flights really. Heathrow to Bangkok then Singapore, Sydney, drove up to Cairns, flew to Christchurch, drove round South island of New Zealand the flew to Fiji LA and NYC. We turned up in Bangkok without any accomodation and got a hotel behind Koh Sahn road for £12 a night, 4 star too. It was easiest to just turn up places and worry about places to stay later. Also, we got a certain number of flight changes for free insted of £10.

I would recommend just do it! When I went to Australia, I didn't really think of anything, where I would stay, where I would get money from etc. Obviously you will need to think about how much cash you need etc. The best thing about my year out was being totally reckless - doing things, going places - if it seems like a good idea do it! Worry when you get there, be spontaneous.

Although saying that I did have some guidance and I would recommend it to anyone especially if your going to Australia Oz Intro is an amazing place to start, a small group of people the same as yourself who have just arrived in the country, lots of exciting activities and I met the majority of people I traveled with the whole time in Oz from the people I met at Oz intro.

Just stick your passport in your wallet and point your bike in a direction and get going...

That's kinda how i'd like to do it, but it's the realistic-ness of it.... like, i'd have to organise and plan to a certain extent. Thanks for all the replies!

I would recommend just do it! When I went to Australia, I didn't really think of anything, where I would stay, where I would get money from etc. Obviously you will need to think about how much cash you need etc. The best thing about my year out was being totally reckless - doing things, going places - if it seems like a good idea do it! Worry when you get there, be spontaneous.

Although saying that I did have some guidance and I would recommend it to anyone especially if your going to Australia Oz Intro is an amazing place to start, a small group of people the same as yourself who have just arrived in the country, lots of exciting activities and I met the majority of people I traveled with the whole time in Oz from the people I met at Oz intro.

It's a bit different if he's going on a motorbike though, as that leads to a lot of complications with stuff, e.g. making sure it isn't going to get nicked, storing it, being able to fix it if it dies, etc.

All I'd recommend really is trying to make sure you don't get into mad debt before going to uni. I know plenty of people who took a gap year after uni to go travelling, so don't assume that if you don't do it now you won't ever get the chance...

That's pretty much why I wanted to do it after 6th form before uni, because I didn't think I'd get the chance to after uni or I wouldn't be feeling as up for it. But yeah, with a motorbike it's gonna take quite a bit of organising I think.

Thanks for all the input :)