Points Of Engagement

Jitters

Hi,

Would like to start off with a little success I had yesterday regarding my beginning to nail pedalkick/backhops. Took me forever to figure out, so I guess I'm getting on my way with a great foundation skill finally. Quite pleased about that.

I am, however, finding that the distance between 'clicks' on my freewheel is quite large and seems to be giving me a bit of a challenge as far as getting my pedals to ratchet into a good zone for me. I do not know the brand of freewheel. I'd like to consider purchasing a Tensile replacement, but wanted some input regarding these pawls and points of engagement and whatever else may be noteworthy as you know more about this subject than I do. (Searches did not seem to produce what I was looking for)

I am assuming that the more points there are, the smaller amounts of ratchetting you'd need to do to get the feewheel to engage. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Do you find that this makes quite a bit of difference, and would it be worth my time to upgrade to a better unit even though I am still a total beginner?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Edited by Tappets

You're correct in what you're saying, yeah (Y)

Its a worthwhile upgrade to a Tensile or similar freewheel as a matter of course, because unbranded freewheels have a tendency to be death traps when it comes to trials.

The extra enagements will make a difference even at your stage in the game, and will give you confidence it won't skip or explode on you.

Back when I started riding trials (99/00 I think) I had a stock shimano hub and it skipped occasionally but the lack of engagement made it quite hard to progress, I forked out and got a hope ti-glide and it was a f**king revelation :D

Ok you couldnt trust in one these days and a proII/king/decent ffw is way better but compared to other hubs available on the market it was about as good as it got :)

Get a new freewheel with decent engagements and you will be far more comfortable on the back wheel because you can make smaller, quicker adjustments with the pedals.

Hi,

im new to trials myself, well about 6 weeks now! I found i was having problems with my track standing and back wheel hops untill i got my self a new freewheel. I found i will have nearly an inch of play before my freewheel would engage so i brought a new TRY-ALL 108.9 and all i can say is, WOW what a differance, it made my learning curve so much quicker because i felt i had more control over the bike!

hope this helps lol