Learning Curve

mad max

I thought i would practice what i preach and take my video camera out with me today.

The object was to video myself and then play it back for a bit of self critique. Holy sh*t what a shock i got.

Because i ride on my own i have no one to tell me were i am going wrong, I'm always watching vids and stuff and try to copy what you guys do.

Jesus did i come down to earth with a bang. I bought my new build in February (adamant A1) but don't seem to be moving round the bike enough, its like i am still riding a standard mtb frame and not taking advantage of the new frame geometry.

I am pleased that i have noticed my bad habits and can work on it ,but it has left me felling well p*ssed off.

tips please as my confidence has just taken a severe beating.

i ride on my own too mate. it's a bit shit riding on your own isn't it?

I'm sure that if i videoed my self i would look crap as-well, but the way i think of it is at least I'm out there doing it. and i love doing it.

if any ped's or bystanders give you negative criticism just tell them to f**k right off!!

I'm in eastbourne if your anywhere near there and want to ride?

Near?, he's pretty much at the other end of the country.

Thanks for the invite mate but i`m in Manchester.

I am sure i will get over it, We all have bad days (i think), or do you get to a level when you stop having them and get everything first time?

I am in the same condition as you.

I am the only who rides trials in my town so I ride alone.

It's more difficult to learn this way so I watch videos and try to copy the moves like you.

I always wanted someone to teach me how to sidehop correctly!!!

Just don't quit man.Try and try again until you are satisfied with yourself and your riding.

Hope you'll get over it.

I am in the same condition as you.

I am the only who rides trials in my town so I ride alone.

It's more difficult to learn this way so I watch videos and try to copy the moves like you.

I always wanted someone to teach me how to sidehop correctly!!!

Same same! Till now I still don't know how to sidehop properly.

Near?, he's pretty much at the other end of the country.

...so about a 30 minute drive??

You live in Europe homes, i can drive all the way across the entire continent, even through the tunnel to Britain in less time then it takes to get out of ontario lols.

Canada ***

Come ride with us, the trains run here from Piccadilly through stockport, you could come along to the next ride we have in Buxton?

If you have a car though, there's loads of places round here to ride, Matlock Quarry is best for natural, Buxton is best for street.

Google Maps Link

Keep an eye out for topics in the Rides section, I tend to post it up when we're going from time to time.

Come ride with us, the trains run here from Piccadilly through stockport, you could come along to the next ride we have in Buxton?

If you have a car though, there's loads of places round here to ride, Matlock Quarry is best for natural, Buxton is best for street.

Google Maps Link

Keep an eye out for topics in the Rides section, I tend to post it up when we're going from time to time.

Your right, theres loads to ride in and around the Manchester area and a lot of riders. I think if i got out and about more instead of going in my usual spot ( a warehouse ) i would meet more people and improve.

Now i can get a bit more time on my bike I'm going to try some different places.

Is the place in rochdale that Ali c has sorted a good venue for newbie naturals because rochdale is quite nere me, Or dose it have a hard core pro scene thing going on. Also can you just turn up and ride?

Honestly dude there is no way that you learn slower then i do.

Like ive been working on taps since may and i have managed to land 3 ever. One 35 one 36 and one 40".

And this is riding 4 times a week for 2-3 hours so dont sweat it and just have fun and try to copy the pros.

And watching the comp riders practice is way better then watching the tgs guys, gilles actually tries to land his moves right not just land them.

...so about a 30 minute drive??

You live in Europe homes, i can drive all the way across the entire continent, even through the tunnel to Britain in less time then it takes to get out of ontario lols.

Canada ***

30 minutes?, probably not even possible. Takes my dad about an hour to go from Hertford to Grays in Essex, about a 50 or so mile trip. You're on about doing closer to 340 miles in half the time, crazy talk.

Edited by Kieran24

Your right, theres loads to ride in and around the Manchester area and a lot of riders. I think if i got out and about more instead of going in my usual spot ( a warehouse ) i would meet more people and improve.

Now i can get a bit more time on my bike I'm going to try some different places.

Is the place in rochdale that Ali c has sorted a good venue for newbie naturals because rochdale is quite nere me, Or dose it have a hard core pro scene thing going on. Also can you just turn up and ride?

Your thinking of Lee Mill Quarry, its really good there and theres a real mixture of stuff to ride, but in the rain it's a really hard place to ride.

Your thinking of Lee Mill Quarry, its really good there and theres a real mixture of stuff to ride, but in the rain it's a really hard place to ride.

Yeah thats the place.

Has anyone been to dove stones just outside Mosley ?

I went up there years ago but the riding was way to big for me then, especially to go on my own. might give the place another try.

http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/dove.html

There are probably better pic of the place.