Guitaristssssss!

BeNNy

Hello allllllll,

Been a while since I last posted :o

Anywhoo. I'm guessing there might be a few guitarists within the Trials-Forum community.. So I'm just asking for a bit of advice..

I'm thinking of starting to learn how to play the guitar, my flatmate has been teaching me and now I'm thinking of buying one myself.

I'm at Liverpool atm, and there's a Dolphin Music store in the centre. I've seen a starter pack which I think, looks like a good deal.. However, I would like opinions of other people who play the guitar. My flatmate says the pack is alright but I can get a better guitar if I was to spend £99.

Is Fender a good make? The pack is £99 instore. (Ik it says £89 on website but P&P has to be included etcetc)

Here's the link:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/33286

Thanks.

Have younever heard of fender? as in STRATOCASTER, the most famous guitar company in the world.

The guitar is orite, get an electric though for your first guitar, so much more fun. look at Squier guitar and amp combos for around £150

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/21350

Edited by chrishayton

Loads of beginner guitars to start with!

Yamaha Pacifica - £174.99 (I know it's more money, but they're amazing starter guitars.)

Squire Strat - Many different packages. (Again more money, but it's yet again another amazing starter guitar.)

You should also check out Ebay as we get nearer Christmas as loads of cheap deals on better guitars will start popping up.

For £99 - £150 you should be able to get a 2nd/3rd hand Fender Strat on Ebay soon (Not USA or Mexican). You won't get an Amp, Lead etc etc.

Edited by Hendrix

To be honest, assuming you know nothing about guitars and whatnot seeing as you're a beginner, as long as your guitar is setup ok, you won't be able to tell much difference between a £99 and a £9,000 guitar. You just need something that tunes up and has 6 strings at this stage :) I was in that Dolphin shop in Liverpool a few days ago, just across from Dawsons? They've got quite a few acoustics in there. I'd say your best bet is to go in and play the guitars you like and are in your price range and pick whichever one feels more comfortable.

FIXED, sorry!

Edited by Billy

Lol. Yeah it is Billy, it's near Dawson's. The shop is quite cool, I like it.

But yeah, my price range is no more than £100 .. Thanks for the offer Bob, but not really looking for a 2nd hand guitar. Wanna start off new.

I'm gonna go back into the shop and have a look at the brands mentioned :)

Cheers guys!

Sorry to come in late on this... If you're looking for an acoustic and your budget is less than £100 you will be buying another one pretty soon. If you are impatient and can't wait and save up to be able to spend £200 minimum (I know how that is, I'm like it all the time!) then be sure to at least get some good quality acoustic strings at the same time as you buy the guitar. They normally come with some shit on there to save a little bit of cost and it's one of the few areas you can improve a guitar at this price range. I recommend d'addario for acoustic strings, but the guys in shop will point out the good brands to you. Try to get them to chuck them in free.

The only other thing to concentrate on at this price range is comfort. This is really important, because the sound will be sub standard whatever you buy. I bought a completely unbranded acoustic a while ago for about £150 and it's pretty awesome - you really don't need to be paying for Fenders marketing budget as a percentage of the £100 you have to sell. Someone like Stagg will be more comfortable at this price range, but it's really a personal thing. Just play everything that's in the shop in your price range - one will "fit" you. Don't be prone to being snobby on names :)

A recommendation on shape -- you will most likely regret it if you don't go for a single cutaway body shape if you plan on keeping it a while. The ease of playing higher up the fretboard will be worth the very slight lack of tone that comes with it when you're getting better.

If you need any other help then feel free to give me a shout - I've owned, and sold, more guitars than I'd care to mention and it's probably the only subject I know enough about to have an opinion! Haha.