Pc/ Modem/ Router/ Xbox Help

eskimo

I'm lost, with all these wireless routers available, i've been searching the internet for well over an hour at the Xbox, Speedtouch, Virgin, Amazon sites etc.

So basically i want to setup a 360 and PC to a Wired Router then to the Modem and finally the Phone plug. I think? This will allow use of the Xbox online without the PC having to be turned on. It's also a slightly faster connection?

I currently have it setup as Phone Line to Modem, to PC, then PC into Xbox. It's a USB ADSL Speedtouch 330 Modem. Quite old i'm guessing now. From what i've learnt, i can't plug the USB Modem into a Router?

So if i need to change the Modem for a new one, i'm going to have to un-install the current one, and just install the new drivers and so which is easy enough with XP anyway?

I've also been on the Virgin ISP with upto 8mps which gives me around 6mps. What's your view on that? As i haven't a 360 yet but if i can a better overall speed then it'll help on the 360 Live. As since i saw games like Duke Nukem and Sonic available to play online i kinda don't give a toss about anything else. This is also because current Duke Support on PC hasn't controller support, so i haven't played it for a few years online.

Any help would be great. I imagen then some flaws in the plan too? I'll keep hunting anyway..

Ta.

You need to buy a router with an ADSL modem built-in. Most of them have this. You won't need any drivers for the new modem - you will connect it to your PC (and the xbox) via ethernet cables.

I'm not going to recommend any routers because I don't know what's good / cheap at the moment, but basically anything with 'ADSL', 'router' and 'wireless' in the title is going to do the trick. It's probably best not to go for the absolute cheapest one, in my experience.

This solution will be easier than connecting the xbox via the PC, and you're right in that it means the PC won't have to be on etc. But in terms of speed difference, it's probably going to be negligible unless your computer is really old.

one word of advice, go netgear!

weve had ours for a few years now, mums had problems since i have left the house and when she's phoned them they have been really excellent at helping her out, and we are well out of our warranty/support period.

they even phoned back after a few days once to make sure she got the problem sorted....

OK, nice one, thanks. My computer is a good few years old, but it's healthy.

Am i looking at the right thing? This for example, seems pretty good?

As i have a Ethernet cable coming through a hole in the wall currently i can just plug that straight into the Router. Then buy a another Ethernet cable, a short one to plug into the Router. Then the Router into the Phone Line. And i'm away once configuration has been done?

As it's wireless and i won't be using wireless i'm guessing it's possible to shut off wireless completely?

That sentence didn't make a lot of sense. You'll need to plug a phone cable from the wall socket into the router, and then two ethernet cables from the router - one to the PC and one to the xbox. So 3 cables total (+ power). The router will probably come with a couple of short cables (one short ethernet one and a phone one) but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm not quite sure why you chose that BT router. It looks very old, I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone - there's probably nothing wrong with it though. I'd go for something like THIS or THIS. If you never intend to use the wireless, just get a wired router which is much cheaper, E.g. THIS.

That sentence didn't make a lot of sense. You'll need to plug a phone cable from the wall socket into the router, and then two ethernet cables from the router - one to the PC and one to the xbox. So 3 cables total (+ power). The router will probably come with a couple of short cables (one short ethernet one and a phone one) but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm not quite sure why you chose that BT router. It looks very old, I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone - there's probably nothing wrong with it though. I'd go for something like THIS or THIS. If you never intend to use the wireless, just get a wired router which is much cheaper, E.g. THIS.

Let's hope GrammarCamel doesn't show his face. But yeah, that's what i thought i needed to do. Simple enough.

I just picked out some ones off Play & Amazon that i thought were good for the job. The reviews on that seemed good. Plus i don't know of the decent PC/ Electronical online stores. And it didn't seem i could just have wired as so many are listed. Guess you saved me some money!

Don't get a BT Voyager. They are crap.

Go for Netgear or Belkin.

Ok thanks. I checked out that wired Linksys one and it's fine, i guess?

I saw this one, with over 100 decent reviews it might be an investment? Do i actually need all that, isit any better than the one you listed? It's got a built in Firewall, what's the story on that? I use Commodo currently on the PC, i don't get it, 2 firewalls?

Most routers have a firewall in them, I don't know of any that don't but obviously I've not used any of the ones I linked to. Generally hardware firewalls in your router are considered better than any software ones you might be running on your PC, so you can probably get rid of Commodo.

I've just had a look at that (wired) router I posted and, weirdly, it only has 1 ethernet port on the back. So don't get that. Sorry! The one you posted will be fine, or this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/83646 That's not much cheaper than the wireless ones though.

Right, ok, i'm bloody lost. I think a few more questions and i'm set to order one.

Am i right in thinking i need a fast modem/ router for better online gaming/ downloading with my PS3?

Do they have compatibility issues with certain consoles/ ISPs?

I bought a PS3 yesterday and am currently using Virgin Broadband.

Because this router seemed great for the job until i read more info. I've been reading up on them for hours now :sleeping:

Oh and i thought about Wireless but i really can't see anyone using it other than me. And as i'm next door to a phone line there isn't much need as i've a hole in the wall for the cable.

Thanks again.

Am i right in thinking i need a fast modem/ router for better online gaming/ downloading with my PS3?

No, they're all the same, give or take. I think the PS3 has a wireless adapter built in, so that would be a reason for going for a wireless router I suppose. It will be compatible, either via wire or wireless, don't worry.

But wait, are you using cable broadband (I though Virgin were cable?!)? Because that's different to broadband via your phone line, and you'd need a different router.

Just to let you know i got it all working well. Many thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I went with the Netgear DG834 from Amazon as it was a bit cheaper. Although it was crap to setup. The Netgear Asian helpline was appalling. They just ran through stuff i'd already tried and charged me at national rate. :sick:

Anyhow sorted the problem myself in the end. Haven't had the chance to configure the firewall on it yet but it's running so that's ok for now.

I do have Virgin yeah. They do use cable but i have the ADSL connection which is 8mbps. As we can't get any more in our area.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to let you know i got it all working well. Many thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I went with the Netgear DG834 from Amazon as it was a bit cheaper. Although it was crap to setup. The Netgear Asian helpline was appalling. They just ran through stuff i'd already tried and charged me at national rate. :sick:

Anyhow sorted the problem myself in the end. Haven't had the chance to configure the firewall on it yet but it's running so that's ok for now.

I do have Virgin yeah. They do use cable but i have the ADSL connection which is 8mbps. As we can't get any more in our area.

Sorry!

My experiance with heir customer service has been great......

Im kinda puzzled about what it was you had to set up, as far as I remember it was just a case of putting the username and password into the right boxes along with some other bits, but this was about 3 years ago now.....

Sorry!

My experiance with heir customer service has been great......

Im kinda puzzled about what it was you had to set up, as far as I remember it was just a case of putting the username and password into the right boxes along with some other bits, but this was about 3 years ago now.....

It would of been but it wouldn't work. I got it to work in the end though.

As for their customer service, it was a national rate call, talking to asian guy who i could hardly understand and he'd have to repeat himself twice on every sentence. Above more he told me to do stuff i had already done. He was blatantly reading from computer and had actually no idea what a router was.

I shall share my experiences with modem routers as i've just had to get the ps3 and xbox working with them. So far, i've tried a BT Home Hub which was terrible, it never worked with the 360 or PS3 properly. Then i got a D-Link, which was excellent, apart from the connection died after about 10-12 hours, then wouldn't connect again. Then i tried a Belkin N Router, which again never worked properly. So we took that back, and got a netgear, which has been excellent since setting it up, the only problems i've had are it likes to disconnect and connect again randomly. Although i believe it might be the power supply. But yeah, i'd recommend a Netgear.

Edit: Looks like you have the same router as me. If you need any help setting any bits of it up, pm me and i'll try my best to help.

Edited by JoeM