Pad Advice.

Skoze

Evening all.

I've had a hunt through the forum, but couldn't find anything that really helped.

I'm reluctantly going back to a rear maggie on my new toy, and just need some advice on what pads to go for.

Basically, i can't stand loud brakes on streety rigs, so i'm after a brake setup that's still pretty good, but as quiet as possible (obviously i don't mind a bit of squeak). Will be mated to a rhyno lite, and i don't want to grind it unless i really have to, not too bothered about wet-weather performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Matt

It is a difficult one. While v-brakes are fairly quiet and you could run a variety of vee pads silently, with a Maggie it's a bit of a problem. Echo's are weak, HSB Snowy/Yellow and Bluberry are loud, Cousts are also loud. If that's of any help, don't get any of those pads.

What about Plazmatic spanish fly's or regular Plazmatics?

Yeah, i've thought of a vee, but can't really afford to put one on at the moment, could be something for the future!

I've thought about plaz's too, unsure on what spanish flys would be like on the back, and i've read/ heard a fair few people bitchin' about the 'new' crms.

Time to have another search...

I've thought about plaz's too, unsure on what spanish flys would be like on the back, and i've read/ heard a fair few people bitchin' about the 'new' crms.

I'd say that plazzies(any type) are too bitey and vicious for a streey rig, for manuals and nice spinny stuff anyway. I had some rock blues on a smooth and it was quiet, had hold but the bite wasn't fantastic! Pretty perfect for street really.

Interesting proposition Mr Porter, but then where do you suggest I put the seatpost? :P

EDIT: Blacks are a no-no.

My last zoo pads weren't bad sans tar, but still squealed a bit - and from what i've used, the new ones are utter tripe.

Edited by Skoze

Rock greens?

Super soft compound, but excellent life despite this. Had mine for over a year and they're nowhere near worn down. Squeak a wee bit, but more importantly bite (and then hold) like nothing else I've tried. One problem I've found with them (and noticed with other Rock pads) is the backings seem to be slightly too narrow for the magura clip, so they wobble around quite a bit and can drag on the rim if you've got a slightly squint set up.

iv found koxx bloxx browns quite and quite powerful on a worn grind I can imagen them being alright on a smooth rim and lasting a life time.

Koxx Browns are amazing. I used them with a sharp grind + 4 bolt booster on a DX32 & it was pretty quiet. No honking, just a swish then bite. In my experience, 4 bolt booster really help a lot with making a brake less noisy.