National Biketrial Cup 2009

BikeTrial Federation

Over the past two years the independent Biketrial Federation has been listening to their riders, and carefully watching the national and international biketrial scene. At the Annual Meeting on Friday 28th November all of this was taken into account when planning the Federation's future and 2009 events.

Firstly, there will be only one series run by the Federation in 2009. To accommodate the needs of the riders, and the needs of British Cycling for British World Team selection this meant an overhaul of the rules.

The Federation's traditional rules were carefully scrutinised alongside the UCI rules, and alongside riders' comments and feedback. We believe that the new Rules for 2009 meet all of those needs. Please do read the rules carefully, but key changes are:

• Self-selection to classes based on rider's own perceived ability.
  • Section time for all classes will be 2 minutes 30 seconds.
  • Addition of a new class, the "Black" route, placed between Blue and Red. (Riders in this class will in fact ride the traditional Red route; see the next point.)
  • Red and Yellow route riders will incur penalty points for bike parts touching the section; Riders in the White, Green, Blue and Black route will not incur penalty points for bike parts touching.
  • Changes have been made to penalty points regarding crossing the boundary and divider tape.

British Cycling has requested that the Biketrial Federation be responsible for UCI World selection. This to be based on: (i) World standings and (ii) Domestic standings. Domestic standings will be based on event results. The selection for 2009 to be completed by early July.

Dates and venues for the 2009 series have not yet been completed whilst a calendar is put together of important dates in the school/college/university year and consideration taken of international events. The event calendar will be updated as soon as final plans have been made.

The appropriate pages on the biketrial website will be updated as soon as possible, but in the meantime, the Minutes of the Meeting and the 2009 Federation Rules can be viewed from the website's homepage www.biketrialuk.co.uk

The Federation's organisers would be very interested to hear your views. Please send any comments to info@biketrialuk.co.uk

We hope to see you all at events in 2009 - everyone very welcome!

Edited by BikeTrial Federation

Rules etc look sensible to me.

Just one question.

It says that you self select the route to ride re ability and then if you win the championship on that route you should move up.

Does this apply to 2009 so last years winners move up?

It gives the freedom of choice to more riders.

In Adam's case, he won the White route Championship in 2008, he can move up a class if you want him to. However, if you were to feel that he isn't old enough or not yet ready for the green route, then the rules incorporate "Exceptions may be allowed for special reasons, ie age, disability, where permission to remain in a class is requested in writing".

A simple email requesting permission to stay in white route would be seriously considered, and in Adam's case as he is only 6, would readily be agreed I am sure.

The aim is to stop 'pot-hunters' not to penalise the genuine riders!

hmmm, not happy.

Firstly I was REALLY annoyed with the whole "team selection" shambles last year.

1)why did people who were already (for some reason?) already picked for the team ride these "qualifying" rounds last year? Top 3 riders at the events were picked for the team, yet two of the top riders in the country who were already picked, rode as well reducing the "qualifying" position to just one.

2) One rider who did get a top 3 position was not chosen to ride for the team, as far as I heard he did not get contacted about it at all.

3)I was told these "qualifying" events were official UCI events, yet an official UCI event needs UCI trained observers, course setters and more. I did not see any and did not get an answer when I asked how it was an official UCI comp. I saw some blatent dabs and 5's going unmissed. I just got fed up with the lot of it and stopped entering.

4) not all of the positions in the team were filled last year, why not when that position could have easily been filled?

I will be phoning Roger at some point to put my opinions across personally.

Aside from what happened last year Ali, what are your thoughts on the changes for next year? Surely combining the UCI selection with a proper national series can only make it better, overall there will be more riders entered as the UCI events last year were held on saturdays and were not taken too seriously by many. Please don't give the observers any more stick as their job is hard enough as it is. The only way you could have trained observers is by being able to pay them. So without large sponsorship (maybe Tartybikes should put some money back into the sport...) then your only ever going to struggle for the few observers that we actually get.

Andrew

What I am saying is, don't say its an official UCI comp if there are no officials there!

At a local comp I'll definately forgive the observers, I know how much effort it it to observe (my mum used to do it for nearly every Tyke comp for 5-6 years? plus I have observed a couple of times as well), it just frustrated the hell out of me trying to qualify for the team (which we didn't have to do last year) at a comp thats meant to be official yet I saw riders cross the tape with no penalties, touch feet and not get a dab etc, maybe I should have complained but thats not really in my nature (untill now).

As for the combining of the rules, that seems pretty good. (wish they wouldn't call it the National Champs though, gets confusing when talking to people who think its the Britich Champs)

What I am saying is, don't say its an official UCI comp if there are no officials there!

At a local comp I'll definately forgive the observers, I know how much effort it it to observe (my mum used to do it for nearly every Tyke comp for 5-6 years? plus I have observed a couple of times as well), it just frustrated the hell out of me trying to qualify for the team (which we didn't have to do last year) at a comp thats meant to be official yet I saw riders cross the tape with no penalties, touch feet and not get a dab etc, maybe I should have complained but thats not really in my nature (untill now).

As for the combining of the rules, that seems pretty good. (wish they wouldn't call it the National Champs though, gets confusing when talking to people who think its the Britich Champs)

Too right, I definitely agree with you on that last point, which often turns each series into a sort of north/south divide, but thats a separate discussion. I don't ever recall it being called an official UCI comp, just UCI rules done to the requirements of British Cycling, but I may be wrong.

I emailed Roger last year asking how it was official, he avoided the question.

The way I see it, only British Cycling can decide who should be in the team, no one else, so when I ring Roger I'll put my case across one to one and see if that helps rather than face the lottery of the "qualification" rounds.

The rules look good although I think I'll be doing black as I'm not fit/good enough for the UCI rules yet. Might have to give it a go though.

Good to see you don't get points for your foot crossing the centre line if your other foot is still on the pedal - makes sense.

Hopefully get to a few next year.

One in Wales maybe? Please.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mmmmm....... sounds good

I have become a little reluctant to enter british/national events over here for the last few years as there is a lot of tension and misunderstanding among competitiors and organisers. I would like to ride them this year though to see how things are regarding the events.

I hope it all goes well and more people start attending