Gear Ratio :s

Daniel C

While we are on the subject....

Whats the same as 20:16??? in the small world? I ride a 26"

Cheers,

Lewis.

Well depending on how noticeably low the gear feels, you may want to go as far as 18:13. I remember tarty Adam had that on his monty and it felt really light and jumpy. Problem is obviously you dont get as high a speed so if you're well built theres no point in it (I reckon)

18:12 is the norm, and I think that 18:12 is the answer to your question

Ive run both 18:12 and 24:16 which is what I'm running now, and i found that the ratio 24:16 was slightly harder and that you could put a little bit more power down.

but theres not that much of a difference. :)

Sean.

I'm sorry but 18:12 and 24:16 are absolutely identical. Possibly you had different length cranks for the different ratios and that made the riding difference.

A 3:2 ratio (be that in the form of 18:12 and 24:16) has been considered THE gear ratio to run on a mod for trials for many years. People have experimented with other ratios but with little success.

If you wanted to run 16t front then you'd need either 11t or 10t rear sproket. There are people on the forum who've done this, but I think they all went back to 18:12 after a bit.

while were on the topic of gear ratios, im currently running 22:18 i think.

im looking to go smaller due to possibly getting a new set of cranks but also wnat a slightly heavyer gearing thinking possibly 20:14 or maybe 18:12

would this be to heavy ? i want the be able to get a bit more speed and also im a big guy so heavyer gearing doesnt really make it that much harder for me as i prefere it.

while were on the topic of gear ratios, im currently running 22:18 i think.

im looking to go smaller due to possibly getting a new set of cranks but also wnat a slightly heavyer gearing thinking possibly 20:14 or maybe 18:12

would this be to heavy ? i want the be able to get a bit more speed and also im a big guy so heavyer gearing doesnt really make it that much harder for me as i prefere it.

nope

Im about average build and 18:12 is fine for me. I think you'll find 18:12 gives you a massive range of options too in terms of products, setups and configurations: Espeicially if you're getting new cranks too.

You can run Front Freewheel (FFW)

You can run Front Freewheel + Bash ring. Then take any bash plates off

You can run rear cassette (IE a profile hub or a king if you've got the cash) and then an 18t cog on the cranks (Again with or without a bashring)

As for what bits to choose, again you've got a LOT of choice :)

Well depending on how noticeably low the gear feels, you may want to go as far as 18:13. I remember tarty Adam had that on his monty and it felt really light and jumpy. Problem is obviously you dont get as high a speed so if you're well built theres no point in it (I reckon)

18:12 is the norm, and I think that 18:12 is the answer to your question

Awesome, cheers. I will give 18:12 a go.

Lewis.