Is 18/12 A Good Gear Ratio

zoo 06

For mod, yes. For stock, no.

18/12 is pretty much the standard for mod bikes of all sizes. Crank lengths is not. I ride 170mm on both mod and stock. Some ride 160mm or even 158mm on mod. Also some people with weaker legs ride 18/13 for a sightlier easier gear. But that's not recommended as it throws off your chainstay length and therefore brake adjustment.

If ive got 16t upfront what do i have on rear? stock btw.

I run a 14 rear with mine. I guess it all depends what you find comftable? obviously there are a few people that ride a lower gear.

Personal preference, keep trying till u find something you feel comftable with.

the only problem is that i dont have a front free wheel cuz i have a pro middle burn trials crank

and it has 5 bolt holes on my chain ring so wats the smallest i can go.

thanks

18:12 is a 1.5:1 gear ratio.

The smallest 5 bolt sprocket for the middleburn pro trials bash is 20t, a 14t rear sprocket will give you 1.42:1 ratio.

The normal middleburn chainring is 22t, in which case a 15t sprocket will give you 1.46:1 ratio.

Both of which are slightly lighter than 18:12 gearing :)

If ive got 16t upfront what do i have on rear? stock btw.

I've got a 13t on the back with 16t on the front, it feels almost identical to my Echo, but the cranks are 12mm longer so it balances out the slightly higher ratio.

I did have 16:14 but I couldn't get any speed for taps and couldn't gap properly.

18:12 is a 1.5:1 gear ratio.

The smallest 5 bolt sprocket for the middleburn pro trials bash is 20t, a 14t rear sprocket will give you 1.42:1 ratio.

The normal middleburn chainring is 22t, in which case a 15t sprocket will give you 1.46:1 ratio.

Both of which are slightly lighter than 18:12 gearing :)

what would you get,

because i have only just started trials n dont know what to get.

thanks