Hope Hub

Benji

I'm pretty sure i'm going to get a hope trials hub now but i was just wondering what sort of cassette would go with it. Will normal shimano sockets fit the freehub? If they do, can i just buy a normal cassette and leave the three biggest sprockets off?

Ben

I'm pretty sure i'm going to get a hope trials hub now but i was just wondering what sort of cassette would go with it. Will normal shimano sockets fit the freehub? If they do, can i just buy a normal cassette and leave the three biggest sprockets off?

Ben

normal sprockets will fit, and yes; leaving 3 cogs off a standard cassette is an option, but it'd be far easier to go single speed.

If possible try to get a wide-based cog as these resist digging into the freehub body

cheers for the replies!!

I would go single speed but i've got a 10 minute ride on a normal bike to my riding spot. Plus i really like the look of the old school bikes (gears and seats). The road cassette that i had on my bike before had really small allen key bolts that went right through nearly all the cogs and spacers. I'm thinking that I could get the same cassette again but cut the bolts down, loose 3 cogs and then the bolts will still spread the load over the whole cassette. What do you think?

cheers for the replies!!

I would go single speed but i've got a 10 minute ride on a normal bike to my riding spot. Plus i really like the look of the old school bikes (gears and seats). The road cassette that i had on my bike before had really small allen key bolts that went right through nearly all the cogs and spacers. I'm thinking that I could get the same cassette again but cut the bolts down, loose 3 cogs and then the bolts will still spread the load over the whole cassette. What do you think?

ive got a 3mile ride to mine....but i still run singlespeed; it isnt so bad, and definitely worth it for the weight saving / less chain skipping / no rear mech advantages...........

ive got a 3mile ride to mine....but i still run singlespeed; it isnt so bad, and definitely worth it for the weight saving / less chain skipping / no rear mech advantages...........

Too true, when i started riding I thought exactly the same as you did, I thought about the practicalitys, but a trials bike isn't practical in the slightest and you sometimes have to just admit that if you want someone to ride places you need another bike trials bikes are designed to only be used for "stunts and tricks" nothing else. By all means run a cassette like I did at first, but you will have a massive pain the ass, with gear alignment, always having a true hanger, faffing with your mech and shifter, knocking it and spending £7 per hanger and £15 per mech... I would strongly advise you to buy a singlespeed kit so you don't damage the hub and a tensioner like the Kings, maybe a tad more expensive now but will save you a fortune in the future.

Also depends on your riding style, if you riding pure street without sidehops and your gentle then you can get away with running gears, but if you fall hard and sidehop right dont even think about it.