Opening Up A Tensile

Jack Chinnery

Tensile is skipping and im opening it up to have a look see. I have a bb tool and ready to open it, Ive heard that you turn the lockring the oposite way to normal?

Cheers in advance.

False! you open the lockring just like a standard thread, lefty loosy etc

When you put it back together, put the pawls in first, then put the racket on next and then put the springs in with some tweesers and a small screw driver.

Nathan

What are you using to open it? Have you tried turning clockwise to open it - unless the Tensile freewheels are a strange exception clockwise should unscrew the lockring. Unless you've got the right pin spanner you'll have to hammer it with a centre punch or something similar to open the lockring.

Or take it to a shop. :)

Why would he do that? get a shit job done and pay for the privilige?

I have never, ever had a shop do work on my bike that I couldn't do better myself. They wouldn't do a freewheel anyway, they'd try and sell him a dicta.

Why would he do that? get a shit job done and pay for the privilige?

I have never, ever had a shop do work on my bike that I couldn't do better myself. They wouldn't do a freewheel anyway, they'd try and sell him a dicta.

Obviously not been to any decent bike shops then.

*In a "not being funny" way, obviously ! It's just that not all bike shops are like that, I know that none of the bike shops I've worked at have been.

Edited by Pashley26

It's just that every time I've seen any work done by any of the bike shops round here, it's bodged or been assembles badly.

Someone I know got the shop to put their BB in, the did it so tight it snapped all the teeth off my BB tool, that's when it was bolted in really securely, we never did get it out.

And a bike someone else I knew bought had stripped crack arm removal threads in both cranks, so when it came to replacing the freewheel I had a right struggle getting the crank off, then found they'd ground the tabs off the freewheel so it would clear the BB, so I had to strip it down and get it off with the vice and a big hammer.

And the wheelbuilds... I'd never trust a shop with my own bikes.

It's just that every time I've seen any work done by any of the bike shops round here, it's bodged or been assembles badly.

I vouch that i went to a lbs and asked if they could just tighten my chain they done it for me for free mind you but i get outside go to ride off and the wheel was dragging on brake.They forgot to retighten my wheel :o ...

I'd never trust a shop with my own bikes.

Fair enough, thats your prerogative. But for every bad good bike shop there is a helpful one who will sort you out to the best of their ability, it's often a case of who is doing it. For instance at out local JJB there is a guy who's done all the cytech courses and does a really top job, he used to work at our shop. But he's also got a bloke there who sent a bike out with the forks on backwards after spending half an hour PDI'ind it.... :)

Dont want to sound like a drag but can we please stay to the bloody topic?

Aren't you meant to be out fixing your freewheel ?

Get a punch and a hammer, and hammer the recess's for the proper freewheel tool to sit in to the left using the punch. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Edited by Pashley26

Just to be clear, you don't need a bb tool to open the little minx up.

You'll need a bb tool to get the whole lot off the crank, which isn't neccesary.

You need either a punch and hammer, pin spanner or large needlenose pliers.

The lockring is a right hand thread.

I hear an angle grinder is a pretty effective way at getting to the internals.

Alex.Loves.Boys has about 2-3 freewheels in his shed that have been taken apart with a angle grinder :D looks pretty funny.

On topic have u got that lock ring off yet?

Edited by Tylerlovesalex