Just Starting Out With Trials So A Couple Of Questions.

dc13

Hi everyone,

Im new to all This, and after doing some searching on here I thought i would ask you guys, (Who konw a lot more than me).

Are there any good trils bike shops in the north wales chester area?

Plus Im looking for my 1st Cheap 26" (stock?) bike, so where do you guys find second hand stuff, other that fleabay and here? as i dont want anything new just yet.

i have a good stock of parts i can use from my parts bin already so thought i might do a self build?

I have been riding mtb's for some years and have recenlty got back into it with my retro 1995 Kona Cindercone, but its a 20" as im 6ft1in so no good for trials really,

Thanks in advance for your replys

(if I get any, :$ )

Daz

Edited by dc13

Hello Daz :)

I was validated before I started looking to actually buy a bike, I always found a few good buys on here (but bear in mind you can't buy on here until you're validated) but I was always skint :(. I found a fair amount of bikes on ebay, although some of them had reserves of incredible amounts, and alot were pick up only, so in the long run you'd more than likely be paying more on ebay than you would on here. On t-f, you can haggle sometimes aswell, and people knock of a few quid or chuck in a few extras. I've seen a few offers on trials bikes in papers like free-ads and on websites such as www.gumtree.com. I don't often see many ads in papers or other places on the net, though. So I suppose, your best bet is just to post helpful comments and things in order to get validated (remember to watch spelling and punctuation) and then buy in the for sale thread.

Hannah, x

Welcome to the forums, I suspect you will be validated within a couple of days at most if you take care with your spelling and punctuation :)

With regards to getting a bike, you can either have a look-see through the classifieds for a frame and build it up at a pinch with some of your spare parts; alternatively there are some absolute stonking complete bike deals on here. For frame choice I would say the best thing to do is try to get a ride on a number of peoples different bikes to see what suits, you will likely find that it will take a couple of frame/geometry changes before you start to find something youre really happy with. You can learn to ride basic trials on a mountainbike (I did about 11 years ago) but having an up to date geometry makes a world of difference.

There arent many trials specific shops in general, most people on here use either tartybikes, selectbikes or deltabikes - all three have a good reputation as online sellers :)

Hi everyone,

Im new to all This, and after doing some searching on here I thought i would ask you guys, (Who konw a lot more than me).

Are there any good trils bike shops in the north wales chester area?

Plus Im looking for my 1st Cheap 26" (stock?) bike, so where do you guys find second hand stuff, other that fleabay and here? as i dont want anything new just yet.

i have a good stock of parts i can use from my parts bin already so thought i might do a self build?

I have been riding mtb's for some years and have recenlty got back into it with my retro 1995 Kona Cindercone, but its a 20" as im 6ft1in so no good for trials really,

Thanks in advance for your replys

(if I get any, :$ )

Daz

Good to have some more people from wales on the forum let us no if you are ever in the colwyn bay area(Y)

1)

There aren't really any physical shops, but there's Tartybikes on the net, also Selectbikes. Evans sell Phase trials bikes though.

2)

Best place for second hand stuff is here. You'll need to get validated for that!

Ebay's good for second hand complete bikes.

Edited by Bruce Lee

about being validated within a couple of days that isnt always true.

i have been on trials forum for a couple of months now and still have not been validated.

and good places for bikes either www.tartybikes.co.uk or www.selectbikes.co.uk or trials forum for sale section or ebay (Y)

Probably your lack of capitals ;)

I was validated within a couple of hours.

Yeah, capitals are not my strong point. Neither is punctuation, or spelling, but i am trying mod's!

To honest a polish keyboard on my laptop doesn't help either :giggle:

+1

Its not that hard to do in the end all you have to do is work at it and re read your posts before you add them. It will come naturally after a while.

It also helps if your helpful to other new members answering there questions and other such stuff.

Hello fellow NorthWalian! :giggle:

I live on the Denbighshire coast. I see you've checked out my profile already

so no need to tell you I'm also new, with still no bike!

There's lots to learn about the 'right bike', so don't rush into anything.

Are there any Trialers in your town? I've just met my first in mine and he's

been very helpful. He's also selling his Stock (26" wheel) frame if your interested?

How much do you want to spend on a frame? It's advertised on the forum.

Good luck on here!

(top-tip, sshhh, don't talk about getting Validated, compose interesting posts/sentences, watch your spelling,

and punctuation, use capital letters where necessary and read the guidelines at the top right of the page and you may be accepted. (Y) )

middleageman.

Edited by middleageman

Hi, Middleageman,

Where about on the coast? i used to live in Rhyl then Rhuddlan, Now I'm over in Denbigh, seems I'm running from the sea! :lol:

Things aren't looking good with work at the moment, possibility of redundancies, So I really need to keep things as cheap as possible really.

I have been riding mtb's for years but never got into trials, but now just seemed the right time, kind of like you! :rolleyes:(Y)

Don't mention it's name, but the Dyke of Offa ends here!

Sorry to hear about your work, it's pretty grim up here work wise at the best of times.

You never mentioned a price range for a frame? Your looking at £100 + minimum

for a half decent second hand stock frame (I think) although there are people on here who know A LOT

more about it than me! Even though your a new member, you can still look in the 'For Sale'

section and get a feel for prices, but just DON'T ask to buy on here!!! (new members chat)

To learn more about everything Trials based, click 'Wiki' on the information bar above.

It tells you about types of bikes, techniques, maintenance and a list of frame manufacturers and websites.

The forum takes a while to get used to, but most people will help you out with any questions you have.

Also try looking at the various internet based Trials shops already mentioned by others. (www.tartybikes.co.uk (Y) )

To give you an idea of prices, the local lad I mentioned previously, is selling his 08 GU Typhoon stock frame, mint condition,

for £180 and they retail at just shy of £300 new!

Just keep on posting and have fun! :D

middleageman.

Welcome to the forums, I suspect you will be validated within a couple of days at most if you take care with your spelling and punctuation :)

With regards to getting a bike, you can either have a look-see through the classifieds for a frame and build it up at a pinch with some of your spare parts; alternatively there are some absolute stonking complete bike deals on here. For frame choice I would say the best thing to do is try to get a ride on a number of peoples different bikes to see what suits, you will likely find that it will take a couple of frame/geometry changes before you start to find something youre really happy with. You can learn to ride basic trials on a mountainbike (I did about 11 years ago) but having an up to date geometry makes a world of difference.

There arent many trials specific shops in general, most people on here use either tartybikes, selectbikes or deltabikes - all three have a good reputation as online sellers :)

Ive Been On 4 A Month + and havent been validated Yet So dont get your hopes up

There's some nice trials stuff near you there, I used to ride up there a lot.

Looks like a budget build is out of the question then, :(

how did you bump into your first trials rider?

I've seen guys riding near me in Denbigh, but being a bit older :- that the guys who were riding i didn't really feel comfortable just approaching them, I'm quite a shy person at first but, also was a bit scared they might think I was some kind of weirdo :o

It's a bit off topic, but I'm sometimes in Prestatyn as it's where my gran lives, and I usually take my bike.

Might be up in half term if you wanted to have a ride and try out my bike or something?

Yeah sure that would be sound!

Sorry.............When"s half term :$ lol

There's some nice trials stuff near you there, I used to ride up there a lot.

Looks like a budget build is out of the question then, :(

how did you bump into your first trials rider?

I've seen guys riding near me in Denbigh, but being a bit older :- that the guys who were riding i didn't really feel comfortable just approaching them, I'm quite a shy person at first but, also was a bit scared they might think I was some kind of weirdo :o

Yeah man, with the town, park and especially the miles of prom and rocks! Trialers paradise I reckon.

I' m sure you could build a cheapish Trials as a starter bike, as I said, best

asking the others for advice. (Y)

Until recently, the only Trialer I'd seen in my town was a young teen on what looked liked a Xmas pressie Onza mod

and didn't want to approach him for the same reasons you expressed.

Then suddenly, walking home from work one evening, I heard that familiar sweaky squeal of a Magura trials brake

I'd heard so often on youtube vids and there was a guy in his 20's on a stock pullin' some moves!

I hesitated, but then approached him asking if I could "ask about his Stock bike?" A conversation was born.

Ask a few Trials related questions of these lads you've seen, mention this forum, they may be glad of some recognition

of the sport, rather than the usual "where's your seat?" quips!

You've just got to bite the bullet.

stay in touch.

middleageman.

Edited by middleageman