Stress Strain Question

PaRtZ

Got a question regarding a rod, the inner is steel, and its surrounded by an outer sleeve of brass. How do I go working out stresses + strains of it?

Thought Id ask tonight incase anyone on here knows, if not Ill go see the lecturer tomoz

cheers :)

BTW im not stupid, I know how to do it on homogenous materials, just composites confuse me...

Got a question regarding a rod, the inner is steel, and its surrounded by an outer sleeve of brass. How do I go working out stresses + strains of it?

Thought Id ask tonight incase anyone on here knows, if not Ill go see the lecturer tomoz

cheers :)

BTW im not stupid, I know how to do it on homogenous materials, just composites confuse me...

It's something about things I think were called compatibility equations - if the rod is fixed at both ends then you know the strain will be the same in both of them. Therefore if you know the load applied you can work out the extension by working out some sort of combined force extension relationship for the two of them. Once you know that the strain you can work out the stress in each part of the rod (i assume you're not doing Poisson's ratio stuff at the moment?).

Andy

It's something about things I think were called compatibility equations - if the rod is fixed at both ends then you know the strain will be the same in both of them. Therefore if you know the load applied you can work out the extension by working out some sort of combined force extension relationship for the two of them. Once you know that the strain you can work out the stress in each part of the rod (i assume you're not doing Poisson's ratio stuff at the moment?).

Andy

is it just a tensile load? in which case...the above is pretty simple to get your head around... otherwise..i think the finite difference/element method might be of use...