Crack

Nick Melson

Is that the steerer tube I spy? if so I would have said it's the bloody great slot that looks like it has been hacked out of the stem myself, when you do this sort of mod you need to ensure you have not put any flaws in the structure especially with cast components such as sharp corners etc.

You should be able to mend that quite easily with a small hot flame, like a precision plumbers torch or oxxy feul with a small tip, just make sure you clean off ALL paint and other contaminants in an area about 1 inch all round the crack.

Be carefull not to overheat because when welding aluminium with oxyfuel it doesn't look like it is melting, heat it too much and it will collapse.

Or just bin it and get another, a stem is one thing you really don't want to let go at the wrong time!

Matt

Is that the steerer tube I spy?

it's designed like that..

You should be able to mend that quite easily with a small hot flame, like a precision plumbers torch or oxxy feul with a small tip, just make sure you clean off ALL paint and other contaminants in an area about 1 inch all round the crack.

Be carefull not to overheat because when welding aluminium with oxyfuel it doesn't look like it is melting, heat it too much and it will collapse.

hmmm...doesn't seem so easy! it still needs to be flush inside where it sits against the steerer...so i can see another crack probably starting again from the steerer side where you might not catch it so easily...tis a strange place for a crack though.

Or just bin it and get another, a stem is one thing you really don't want to let go at the wrong time!

good shout.

Uneven tightening may have caused it...perhaps even riding with one bolt loose(ish) meant that the stem could move slightly and thats some sort of fretting crack? unlucky i'd say.

adam