Hope Mono Mini

Guantanamo

Hi, i've just bought a second hand hope mono mini brake. Not got it yet but am considering rebuilding it and replacing the seals. Would the brake have to bed in again? Is this a good idea or should i just bleed it if needed. I don't mind stripping it and rebuilding as then i know i can make any repairs if needed in the future. It's one of the older models with the black and gold colour scheme. Also where would i get a seal kit from - looked on tarty but no luck.

Many thanks

Adam

you will most probably f"ck it up so just leave it, theres no point in messing around with it. the pads bed in the seals dont.

You obviously have no idea then.

Changing seals is no big job and you only learn by trying, so if the brake needs it go for it, although you'll probably want to re bleed the brake afterwards.

You shouldn't have to bed it in again. Although try not to get fluid on your pads or they'll need replacing and then you will have to re bed the brake.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2509

There's the lever seals.

Dont fix something until its boke?

I hear that all the time, I've never understood it! Why wait until your chain breaks until you replace it? Or wait for your grips to fall off before you replace them? Or your wheel bearings to shatter before you clean and regrease them?

With brake seals I'd leave it until the seals start weeping, then when you strip it, polish the pistons up aswell, this will make the seals last longer and will take off any corrosion from where the pads has sat, they can get water under there and it slow corrodes the piston.

Muel is right. Maintainace is the best cure. Most people say i over maintain our mototrials bikes, but im not the one replacing parts every 2 weeks. Brake seals are a little differnt however. If the brake has done a fair bit of work, it may pay to replace the slave seals. This will stop any lazy pistons that might be occouring.

Max

you will most probably f"ck it up so just leave it, theres no point in messing around with it. the pads bed in the seals dont.

I bet you cant do it, because your daddy told you not to.

Edited by JackC123

well sort all the seals and fresh up the fluid and get new disc and pads then it should be like new and then you should'nt have to worry about your front brake for a good 8-14 months?

New rotor is not necassery, just give it a really hard cleaning and it should be as good as new.

Yep, I'm probably going to replace the seals, oil and pads, maybe service the lever too. That way i know the brakes are operating as best as they can. It looks straight forwards enough if you're careful and the seals are very reasonably priced. I won't be doing it for a couple of weeks yet though, waiting to get some money through. I'll let you know how it goes though.

Thanks for your time

Adam

Muel is right. Maintainace is the best cure. Most people say i over maintain our mototrials bikes, but im not the one replacing parts every 2 weeks. Brake seals are a little differnt however. If the brake has done a fair bit of work, it may pay to replace the slave seals. This will stop any lazy pistons that might be occouring.

Max

Thats not possiable, when there bikes explode they'll feel stupid, my bike gets completely stripped down every other week, sometimes every week.

If i've done anything that involves dirt, grit or sand it gets taken apart cleaned and re greased.

And i replace parts usually months before they wear out Especially chains and tyres, although i like worn grips but thats just me.

If it aint broke, take it apart and have a look so you know what to do if it does brake.

if your talking about the seal in the lever body then tarty do sell them

but they call it a diaphragm :P

also i think that the mono trial has the same seals as the old mono mini so check this out mate:

Link To The Seal Kit

Thanks, i'll give them or chainreaction a ring when i order just to make sure i get the right seals.

wow that is a step too far , i only take my bike apart and put it back together every 2/3 months if you keep changing everything you must have a lot of cash to spare but if thats what you want to do you can do it but thats my opinion . this is to the comment ^