Pc Help...

Hi, Me and my mate built a pc up the other day, Everything seamed to be ding dang do... after it was all sorted, i transfered all my music ect from old hard drive, then noticed i hadnt screwed the graphics card down... so when i was screwing it down, i was pushing with one finger on the GFX card, and my finger slipped and snapped one of them little things off the GFX card... so that card was pooped... SO we put another card in and... nothing. so, we tried another... and still, nothing. so we thought hmmm, wonder if its the monitor, just outa curiousity... so we tried another monitor... and nothing. both GFX cards we put in were in working order, as one came out of my old pc... and knew it was working... so we built another pc up, and nothing... so we thought, ahh feck it, so took my mates out of his pc, and put it in the one we built, and it still never done anything... the same with the other one we built :S we tried 3 diffrent monitors, and none of them worked, and 2 diffrent GFX cards, and none worked... They seamed to be working, as the fans on both of them were spinning when turned on... and windows started up, as you could hear the start up tune... But there was just no display :S we even tried my GFX card in my mates pc... and it worked perfect :S cant be my motherboard, could it? :S

Please help! :(

I dont understand though, cause i also tried it on my old motherboard, which was fine... and it never worked :S im totally clueless of whats up with it :S

Hmm. Power supply? Did you hook them all up to the same PSU every time? Thats my 2nd bet!

To be honest you've probably caused static damage to your MotherBoard or CPU or something. Was you wearing anti-static wristband?

Is it POSTing ok? (Power On Self Test)

What are you getting when you turn the system on?

Pics?

Edited by Sirius

To be honest you've probably caused static damage to your MotherBoard or CPU or something. Was you wearing anti-static wristband?

Is it POSTing ok? (Power On Self Test)

What are you getting when you turn the system on?

Pics?

I know this is going to look like i'm trying to pick your posts apart after the other thread but seeing as how he said the computer was running he'd have a heatsink of some kind over the CPU so how can his hand slipping into the graphics card clip area cause static damage to the cpu? Seriously? It has a hunk of metal over it and the pins are all covered.

In all my days of building computers in student houses on carpets in the lounge i've never once caused a component to fail due to static discharge. It's VERY rare for that to ever happen.

Can you run through in a bit more detail what you've tried and where.... the way you describe it i can't tell if your sticking borked gfx cards in decent motherboards or what.

If you've got a working graphics card in the problematic pc and you still get no image, swap the PSU's out like mr badger said. If it still isn't working but your getting the audio for it booting to windows it sounds like you've damaged your motherboard as well.

The fact your getting it into windows suggests the hard drives, ram and CPU are all okay. Obviously any soundcard is fine because your hearing the startup tune.

Are you sure you only snapped something off the graphics card? You didn't slip further into the machine and bash a capacitor on the motherboard?

I know this is going to look like i'm trying to pick your posts apart after the other thread but seeing as how he said the computer was running he'd have a heatsink of some kind over the CPU so how can his hand slipping into the graphics card clip area cause static damage to the cpu? Seriously? It has a hunk of metal over it and the pins are all covered.

In all my days of building computers in student houses on carpets in the lounge i've never once caused a component to fail due to static discharge. It's VERY rare for that to ever happen.

Can you run through in a bit more detail what you've tried and where.... the way you describe it i can't tell if your sticking borked gfx cards in decent motherboards or what.

If you've got a working graphics card in the problematic pc and you still get no image, swap the PSU's out like mr badger said. If it still isn't working but your getting the audio for it booting to windows it sounds like you've damaged your motherboard as well.

The fact your getting it into windows suggests the hard drives, ram and CPU are all okay. Obviously any soundcard is fine because your hearing the startup tune.

Are you sure you only snapped something off the graphics card? You didn't slip further into the machine and bash a capacitor on the motherboard?

No no not at all, You made a good point, It is easily done, I've ruined a decent CPU before due to static, I didn't think it was possible either but trust me it is.

Only time I've never had a GFX card to work was due to that, just my two cents.

Edited by Sirius

Right... iv got some good news... and some bad news... lol

We found that the problem was my soundcard, supposidly my motherboard doesnt like AVI sound cards... (i think its AVI) but seeing as my motherboard has a built in sound card, we dont need that...

Now for the bad news... when i was at my mates, the pc was running fine, not crashing or anything... But, when i brought it home, and plugged it all in, it goes through the loading screen, but when it says, "starting up..." straight after that, my tv goes off and it comes up with "mode not supported" on my tv :S Im using a 37" samsung tv as my monitor, but when i was at my mates we just used a 15" pc monitor... Surely there isnt cirtain modes that my tv will run? :S

So basically, it will show up on the screen, that black page with all the white writing, then it says "starting up..." and then my tv loses signal :S i dont have a pc monitor at home to try, to see if that works :(

Also... is it wrong to think that the scouse girl in the wheel chair in hollyoaks is fit? haha

Thanks guys x

Woop woop! sorted it guys! had to go in tv menu and search for connection :D all working now, cheers for the help anyways!

Thread can be closed now :)