Best Way To Spend £100 On My Bird?

Maladie

Grind your rear rim and get some decent v-pads, CNC heatsink pads? About £20.

Trialtech bars :), get them second hand off here if you can find one. They go for about £30 ish, then get some trialtech foam grips, £6.

Stems, look for something in For Sale section such as echo team or trialtech sport stems, you might be able to them about £20ish. They have less rise than your current stem but nice riser bars with headset spacers will raise the bars up a little.

If you can splash out a bit more, you could change the forks but the only advantage is save a bit of weight and maybe strength depending on which ones you buy. Curved forks will also increase your wheelbase by a few mm, 5-10mm maybe. If you don't mind the forks, spend some on other little things like cheap but grippy pedals or a chainstay protector?

EDIT: FFW is less hassle than a freehub, if they go wrong and you need to replace it you have to debuild you wheel which is annoying. FFW you just take cranks off and unscrew it. The deng range of freehubs are known to skip, search the forum you'll find a few topics on them.

Yeah, A guy at OwensCycles (Bike shop in Petersfield) who rides trials and he said to me he could grind my rim.

And is it worth getting new pads already? Because mine are hardly worn and seem to be working pretty well atm.

I also don't think i need bars or a stem because like other people said , I think i'll stick with heavier parts while i'm a beginner.

I could get some new forks, I really like the look of some but I'd rather spend the £80 I would spend on a pair of them

on a hub and a rim like I wanted to in the first place.

Also Sam said to me it's a much better idea to go FFW but i'm not keen on the idea of replacing my cranks, bottom bracket,

freewheel and hub, and the Echo freehub i want to get is on Tartybikes at half-price so I think i'll buy it.

Cheers for the massive help! :)

Edited by Horndean Trials

Why when everyone has told you not to buy the echo hub cause its not good at all, are you STILL going to buy it?

And getting new bars and stem won't just make your bike lighter, it'll make it ride much better depending on what you go for.

Echo hub is a bit of a waste of money, because it'll brake, and wont make a difference to how your bike rides to be honest.

Yeah, A guy at OwensCycles (Bike shop in Petersfield) who rides trials and he said to me he could grind my rim.

And is it worth getting new pads already? Because mine are hardly worn and seem to be working pretty well atm.

I also don't think i need bars or a stem because like other people said , I think i'll stick with heavier parts while i'm a beginner.

I could get some new forks, I really like the look of some but I'd rather spend the £80 I would spend on a pair of them

on a hub and a rim like I wanted to in the first place.

Also Sam said to me it's a much better idea to go FFW but i'm not keen on the idea of replacing my cranks, bottom bracket,

freewheel and hub, and the Echo freehub i want to get is on Tartybikes at half-price so I think i'll buy it.

Cheers for the massive help! :)

If you want to splash out some money on new hub soon and maybe a new set of teeth go for it. Low price is good but for a part that is known to have problems I really suggest you get another freehub thats more reliable or go FFW for less hassle in the long term.

If you want to splash out some money on new hub soon and maybe a new set of teeth go for it. Low price is good but for a part that is known to have problems I really suggest you get another freehub thats more reliable or go FFW for less hassle in the long term.

Hmm, but Tom has the Echo freehub and I do really like the look and sound, and to be honest, I don't think I will break it seeing as the biggest thing I do is hop about 4 stairs :P. The price tag is really appealing too and I like the sound they make so I'm going to order one and then decide what to spend the rest of my money on (I've got about £150 now by the way). I'll probably just buy some nice foam grips and some good pads though, maybe HS33's for the back.

Hmm, but Tom has the Echo freehub and I do really like the look and sound, and to be honest, I don't think I will break it seeing as the biggest thing I do is hop about 4 stairs . The price tag is really appealing too and I like the sound they make so I'm going to order one and then decide what to spend the rest of my money on (I've got about £150 now by the way). I'll probably just buy some nice foam grips and some good pads though, maybe HS33's for the back.

Yeah at the moment you can only do 4 stairs, what happens when you get better?

Why don't you listen to what allll the other people who have been riding a while and get a front ffw. OR since you have 150, get a profile that wont let you down, and probably have much better warrenty?

But anyway, a hub isn't going to improve your riding, get bars and stem and brake pads(or upgrade to rear maggy!) and you could get a much better freewheel and stick it on the back if you really didn't want ffw.

Hmm, but Tom has the Echo freehub and I do really like the look and sound, and to be honest, I don't think I will break it seeing as the biggest thing I do is hop about 4 stairs :P . The price tag is really appealing too and I like the sound they make so I'm going to order one and then decide what to spend the rest of my money on (I've got about £150 now by the way). I'll probably just buy some nice foam grips and some good pads though, maybe HS33's for the back.

Me, Sam and probably Andrew told him not to get it as well....please tell be you are not getter it just because Tom has one?

Sound should be the last thing on the list if you ask me. You probably won't break it now but when you do you have to buy something else where you could have just gotten something better in the first place.

Like austen said, hub isn't going to improve your riding. I would rather keep the standard hub/freewheel for now and get better bars/stems/brakes.

Me, Sam and probably Andrew told him not to get it as well....please tell be you are not getter it just because Tom has one?

Sound should be the last thing on the list if you ask me. You probably won't break it now but when you do you have to buy something else where you could have just gotten something better in the first place.

Like austen said, hub isn't going to improve your riding. I would rather keep the standard hub/freewheel for now and get better bars/stems/brakes.

No mate i'm not, I just did really like the look of it.

And it is true, i know i'll have to buy better bits in the future, but that's what i planned to do anyway.

Work my way up.

Cheers.

Im not being funny mate, but you've come on here asking for advice and now throwing it back in people faces.. theres ALOT of knowledge about trails on this forum believe it or not, people don't say things for a reason, I think I know of 1 person that said their echo freehub didn't blowup, out of the hundreds sold :|

You say you have £150, buy second hand of here, you will be much better off

Rear wheel and brake setup in here, Im sure you could get a good deal buying 3 items together off him.

Monty pr stem :)

Gu bars

And just wait for some cranks and a tensile freewheel to pop up, looks like most of them have gone (because they're sooo good)

£150 can go along way(Y)

Adam.

Im not being funny mate, but you've come on here asking for advice and now throwing it back in people faces.. theres ALOT of knowledge about trails on this forum believe it or not, people don't say things for a reason, I think I know of 1 person that said their echo freehub didn't blowup, out of the hundreds sold :|

You say you have £150, buy second hand of here, you will be much better off

Rear wheel and brake setup in here, Im sure you could get a good deal buying 3 items together off him.

Monty pr stem :)

Gu bars

And just wait for some cranks and a tensile freewheel to pop up, looks like most of them have gone (because they're sooo good)

£150 can go along way(Y)

Adam.

Oh, I am sorry if that's what it looks like =/

I wasn't meant to.

I have really been considering everyone who's posted here's advice to help me decide what to do.

I'll have a look at some second hand bits but i'm surely better off spending the extra £20 or what ever and get bits new so i'm sure they work?

Thanks.

Oh, I am sorry if that's what it looks like =/

I wasn't meant to.

I have really been considering everyone who's posted here's advice to help me decide what to do.

I'll have a look at some second hand bits but i'm surely better off spending the extra £20 or what ever and get bits new so i'm sure they work?

Thanks.

I have bought a lot of things through this forum second hand and have never had a problem so i'd say you don't need to worry about that. I as i few other people have said would reccomend getting some trialtech foam grips, some sweet pads like heatsink or whatever takes your fancy and leave it at that. I once spent all my money on something and while out testing it frigged up my rim, two massive three inch flat spots and so of coarse i couldn't ride and was gutted. So save the rest just in case. And just keep checking for any bargains on here.

I have bought a lot of things through this forum second hand and have never had a problem so i'd say you don't need to worry about that. I as i few other people have said would reccomend getting some trialtech foam grips, some sweet pads like heatsink or whatever takes your fancy and leave it at that. I once spent all my money on something and while out testing it frigged up my rim, two massive three inch flat spots and so of coarse i couldn't ride and was gutted. So save the rest just in case. And just keep checking for any bargains on here.

I ordered some Trialtech grips today :)

And yeah mate, i will do, some nice things do pop up in the sale section every now and again i've seen.