Dirt Jump Rear Hubs

Scott Gibbs

I have been lookin a rear hubs recently and it looks like u either spend a fortune on chris kings or hope pro 2's or anything else just doesnt seem to be up to scratch! So i was thinking that single speed dj disc hubs would be good enough for the job! There well built, tough and seem to run a decent pick up too. I know they will be heavier because of the steel axle. What does everyone else think?

I have been lookin a rear hubs recently and it looks like u either spend a fortune on chris kings or hope pro 2's or anything else just doesnt seem to be up to scratch! So i was thinking that single speed dj disc hubs would be good enough for the job! There well built, tough and seem to run a decent pick up too. I know they will be heavier because of the steel axle. What does everyone else think?

The engagements aren't as strong as they don't need to be.

The engagements aren't as strong as they don't need to be.

i did think of that i must admit. But as i will be using it aboard a 24" so i wont be using it like a trials bike as such, more rolling in to stuff, manuals, bunnyhops and so on im not so sure it will matter as much?

i did think of that i must admit. But as i will be using it aboard a 24" so i wont be using it like a trials bike as such, more rolling in to stuff, manuals, bunnyhops and so on im not so sure it will matter as much?

Not as much no but the cheaper hubs wont last very long anyway, honestly your best bet is a Pro 2.

The new halo hubs are supposed to be pretty good to be honest, though pretty much any of these will be fine so long as its not the 3 pawl dmr hub or one of the cheap shimano/dt swiss hubs.

If you look at things above/around £70 you'll be onto a winner.

The new halo hubs are supposed to be pretty good to be honest, though pretty much any of these will be fine so long as its not the 3 pawl dmr hub or one of the cheap shimano/dt swiss hubs.

the halo djd hubs were the ones i had in mind. A white one to match the black rim and white spokes that i already have. Looks pimp with the white spin doctor i want to replace. I read somewhere that the new dmr hubs ran a 6pawl system, like i have said previously i wont be spending alot of time on the back wheel as i will be (attempting!) the same was as danny macaskill!

the halo djd hubs were the ones i had in mind. A white one to match the black rim and white spokes that i already have. Looks pimp with the white spin doctor i want to replace. I read somewhere that the new dmr hubs ran a 6pawl system, like i have said previously i wont be spending alot of time on the back wheel as i will be (attempting!) the same was as danny macaskill!

Ive had Halo SAS wheels on my dirt rig for 2 years now,

running spin doctor hubs, they havent given me any trouble at all, still run proper smooth :)

And a rear spin doctor hub is a bargain at £36.99, thats like a third of the price of a Pro 2.

Ive heard Pro2's are immense, but i have no personal experience of them,

so im not saying a spin doctor is better than a hope, but they are still pretty darn good.

I just noticed you want to replace a S.D, so yeh go for a DJD or similar :)

Edited by curt-echo-control

Yeah the newer version of the dmr hub runs 6 pawls and is supposed to be a fair chunk better. I was just highlighting the 3 pawl one as CRC still sell it and it's the worst hub i've ever had. It skips when pedalling on a flat floor, just normal riding. A complete joke of a hub system.

Ive had Halo SAS wheels on my dirt rig for 2 years now,

running spin doctor hubs, they havent given me any trouble at all, still run proper smooth :)

And a rear spin doctor hub is a bargain at £36.99, thats like a third of the price of a Pro 2.

Ive heard Pro2's are immense, but i have no personal experience of them,

so im not saying a spin doctor is better than a hope, but they are still pretty darn good.

I just noticed you want to replace a S.D, so yeh go for a DJD or similar :)

yeah the spin doctor is a great hub really good. I will reuse it for my stock bike its just for my 24" i really want a single speed specific rear hub, was Gunna buy a khe geisha freecoaster so as to get creative but i think they will be too much trouble!

Yeah the newer version of the dmr hub runs 6 pawls and is supposed to be a fair chunk better. I was just highlighting the 3 pawl one as CRC still sell it and it's the worst hub i've ever had. It skips when pedalling on a flat floor, just normal riding. A complete joke of a hub system.

I have a 3 pawl (Not a DMR one) and mine is equally awfull...

Was concidering the DMR 6 pawl or the DJD but this is for a jump bike.

I still suggest a Pro 2 but its up to you.