Difference Between Cassette And Flipflop...

Sam-Addy A3

Hey guys,

My mate is buying a new back wheel for his BMX, but there are two different types of the wheel he wants.

One is a cassette, and the other is flipflop, do any of you guys know the difference?

Cheers

Sam :D

Cassette has an internal toothed ring and a smaller "cog" with a pawl system attached to it presses into the hub, allowing for smaller ratios on the rear.

A flip flop is a wheel with a screw on fixed on one side and predominantly a screw on freewheel on the other so you can switch between fixed and freewheel or just swap ratios...

Cassette -

4dge1.jpg

Flipflop -

2lvjm00.jpg

I should imagine he wants a Cassette wheel :)

Edited by Pashley26

Just get a cassette. Flip flops have had their time.

A flip flop is a standard freewheel hub. But it just has a smaller freewheel thread on one side to allow you to run 14/13t freewheels (odyssey make a 13t for example).

A cassette allows you to run as low as 9t, even 8t in some cases, and is generally more reliable and the norm in bmx now.

I thought a flipflop was threaded on both sides, in order to let you run LHD...

No, the thread isn't in reverse direction on the left side. If you were to run LHD, you'd unscrew the sprocket. It's designed so you can take the wheel out and flip it over to change gear, or to change from freewheel to fixed.