Grinding Rims

tom@eastcoasttrials

If you want slightly more bite from hard pads like Kool Stops or OEM black Magura pads and loads of modulation for manuals at the expense of bite and hold then this might work for you. Unless the grinding wheel you have is ridiculously coarse it won't give you the sort of grind I like - I use a cutting disk on an angle grinder, giving deeper grooves in the braking surface to get an on/off brake with loads of bite and hold (The brake's got even better since I got some heatsink yellows too).

The grinding pattern you need should be radial to the centre of the rim all the way around.

Before trying any of this make sure you've got goggles and gloves on to be safe - hot chunks of metal will go flying and aluminium doesn't tend to spark, so you won't see them. My angle grinder is loud enough that I need ear plugs to use it - grinders tend to be a bit quieter.

I use stuff like that....

http://imgs.segundamano.es/images/335/33597366396.jpg

I'm not sure if this rotors are correct but i use one very similar.

I saw in last ripoll UCI championship the grind rims of "elites" like coustellier and his grind was very very

smooth. My grind it's more agressive!!!

How can i get this smoot grind?? Other rotors??

Pics please..

Edited by 315r

For less aggressive grinds use a wider cutting disk and grind radially. For even less aggressive use a grinding disk edge on or flat side down for less aggressive again. After that a sanding disk with various roughnesses on an angle grinder or a power drill will give less again.

I'd be interested in trying soft brake pads on various roughnesses of rims to see if there is a point where the brake bites and holds well but doesn't howl and gives some modulation when you want it and still works in the wet. There are so many permutations of grind, pad and conditions it'd take ages though.

Edited by psycholist