Shimano Rear Free Hub

smotobob

Has been starting to play up and now i seem to have lost ratchet points and the free wheeling is intermittent :( part is Shimano m525 ( guess the original Monty one was replaced at some point or broke). Have taken to local bike shop and they suggested getting the parts in to fix it cost estimated at £15 and £10 ish to fit. I have search on here but haven’t found many threads relating to it so a few little questions about what do i do from here?

Could get the new part and they fix it ( assuming its not the body?) i have no idea how they work. Would it just brake again never really been overly convinced of its ratchet.

Could try and find a replacement hub? All the trails sites list £120 + hubs and that a little out of my price range are there any cheaper free 9sp hubs that would last?

Would it be worth swapping to a fixed hub seems allot cheaper however i do use this bike to cycle to places and love the 6-7 usable gears that i had :lol:

Any advice would be great, pants not being able to ride my bike atm .

(Monty 26" 36 hole 135mm 9sp)

Cheers

Ben

Shimano hubs were never built with hard abuse in mind well except the saint group set. As for new hubs, it depends on if ur going single speed or if u want gears and also budget. Im personally runnin a halo spin doctor on my bike and it hasnt skipped once! They are around 40-50 quid. Or go with a fixed hub and freewheel like the echo which is about 60 quid but if u can stretch to it the hope pro 2 trials seems to be the weapon of choice for majority of riders here.

Shimano hubs will just keep breaking, your better off saving your pennys and getting a pro2, and then even if that does break, you will be able to get it fixed foc! Should be able to pick up a second hsnd one for a reasonable price

You could like at a Hope XC hub (waiting for slander about them) I have used one for about a year now and its like a 4 year old hub. I have only had it skip on me whilst riding along never whilst acctually doing anything. Cheaper then the Pro II easy to service and maintain.

Shimano hubs were never built with hard abuse in mind well except the saint group set. As for new hubs, it depends on if ur going single speed or if u want gears and also budget. Im personally runnin a halo spin doctor on my bike and it hasnt skipped once! They are around 40-50 quid. Or go with a fixed hub and freewheel like the echo which is about 60 quid but if u can stretch to it the hope pro 2 trials seems to be the weapon of choice for majority of riders here.

Went with the Spin Doctor seems to have good reviews too will see how it pans out :-) Cheers bud