Balancing On Back Wheel

Simon1989

I've been out practicing tonight trying to balance on my back wheel. I thought getting this balance correct would be a great place to start, yeah?

Anyways, is there anyway to help me practice this? I can get the bike up onto the back wheel, and hold it for a few seconds, but obviously I need to maintain the balance to help me when I come to moving on doing more stuff. Any techniques to try to just help with balance?

How long did it take you lot to get balancing on your back wheel properly?

EDIT - I was thinking, could I stack up something to like a couple of feet, and use that as a start to put my front wheel on, then like lean back and learn to balance like that, then if I fall forward again just land back on whatever I'm using? If that makes any sense.

Edited by Simon1989

You want to hop on the backwheel backwards first. Once you've mastered this, try adding a kick on the cranks to move forward, again in small hops.

Took me months! Takes some people days/weeks.

www.trashzen.com

You want to hop on the backwheel backwards first. Once you've mastered this, try adding a kick on the cranks to move forward, again in small hops.

www.trashzen.com

Should I not learn how to balance on the back wheel first though?

I'll give hops ago tomorrow, but thought I'd be better of actually just balancing first lol!

That's a lot harder.

Move forward, medium speed. Pull an endo, back wheel comes off the ground.

As the back wheel comes down, use the momentum and bring the front wheel up. Pull enough so you feel like you will fall off the back. Instead of stepping off though, jump up using your feet to pull the back wheel up and place it under you to keep your balance centred.

Repeat.

As you gradually get better, try to stop moving back.

Then let the front wheel drop more then usual and add a kick with your good foot, whilst letting go off the brake and jumping up and forwards. Pull the brake before you land and repeat.

Easy ;)

That's a lot harder.

Move forward, medium speed. Pull an endo, back wheel comes off the ground.

As the back wheel comes down, use the momentum and bring the front wheel up. Pull enough so you feel like you will fall off the back. Instead of stepping off though, jump up using your feet to pull the back wheel up and place it under you to keep your balance centred.

Repeat.

As you gradually get better, try to stop moving back.

Then let the front wheel drop more then usual and add a kick with your good foot, whilst letting go off the brake and jumping up and forwards. Pull the brake before you land and repeat.

Easy ;)

Thanks for that mate :)

Will be practicing today :D

Just thought I would update you all on today practice.

Been doing what was mentioned above, bouncing on the back wheel, and I'm finding this is generally improving my balance on the back wheel.

So thanks for the information :)

Coming along nicely now, need to go to a town or something though to practice, village has nothing!

It's all down to practice. I can pretty much keep any bike with a working back brake on the backwheel now! It's fun... :P

As soon as you've found your balance point, and mastered when to hop/release the brake and kick the cranks a little, you'll just flow with it.

www.trashzen.com

It took me the maximum of 30mins, if that.

don't try the jumping bit just yet, if you can get on the back wheel, release your brake, stay near enough the same position, and lock it again. the longer you can go with the brake off, in this postion the better. when your comfortable with this, try adding a pedal stroke while the brake is off, if your used to wheelying you'll know to pull you weight back as the bike comes forward, for the first few don't worry about your wheel dropping with the first few, but when you can do several small kicks, rolling the bike, locking the brake, balancing the bike again and repeating, get confident with this, (i've found myself trying to do this more that hopping recently, so it's good to have as a habit, looks smoother and more controlled ;) ) then try pulling the bike up with you each time you kick...

the usual techniques to get onto the back wheel easily:

lock both brakes (static), swing wheight over front wheel and transfer the momentum over to the back wheel and the front will rise. how high it rises depends on the momentum, centre of gravity and body position. master that and in time you will gain better ballance.

similar to the above you could start with an "endo"(F+R brake locked) and transfere body wheight over to the back wheel to find the ballancing point.

final easy to pull manouver is the crank ins which rolling the cranks quickly (maybe an 1/8 - 1/4 of a rotation) which will bring the front up providing your wheight is far back enough.

try keeps limbs/ joints slightly bent to give you better control (elbows, knees, hips etc).

GO ON!!! GET ON YER BIKE! :)