How To Make Your Chris King Louder And Skip Less

Mr Motivator

Trying to knock the bearing out atm... It seems im on the path to knocking the bearings apart rather than out, they wont budge and im really worries that i'm gunna knock the middle part out instead of the outer.

Anyone know how I could avoid this? Maybe find a working video out to knock it out with the drive shaft locked in?

Edit - Nvm, hit it harder, worked.

Edit #2 - Do I NEED to lube it?

Edited by Mikey-uk

Trying to knock the bearing out atm... It seems im on the path to knocking the bearings apart rather than out, they wont budge and im really worries that i'm gunna knock the middle part out instead of the outer.

Edit - Nvm, hit it harder, worked.

:

dont worry adam its fine ;)

some people have been telling me its perfectly fine to run a king dry... is it?

Edit - Just tried it dry and I can feel resistance just spinning it so ima go get some lube from cyclezone :)

Cheers for the video :)

Edited by Mikey-uk

Edit - Just tried it dry and I can feel resistance just spinning it so ima go get some lube from cyclezone :)

There will be less resistance from no lube, that resistance is probably from the bearing you just almost murdered :P hehe

Most likely yes. You need to be very careful pulling a bodge like this. Kings are made to such high tollerances (more than they need to be really) Like Adam has said, if you really value your king and don't want to risk anything then just leave it alone or send it to Adam for his super service.

I only did this because my king is getting old, I don't ride much any more and a lot of people ask if they can make it louder and most don't seem to care if it wears out thier Hub faster.

Anyway, have fun :) it'll be fine.

I only did this because my king is getting old, I don't ride much any more and a lot of people ask if they can make it louder and most don't seem to care if it wears out thier Hub faster. Anyway, have fun :) it'll be fine.

If i was to spend that much money on a hub i would want it to work ever.

People who dont care clearly have to much money and sholud give me some and have mostly likely been droped as a child.

Shut up!

It's fine, just hit it lightly and square!

tried it, doesnt budge 1 bit

but i have re-assembeled the bearing and it seems ok

i would rather spend 150quid on the chris king toool to be honest instead of boging

Edited by josh barker

tried it, doesnt budge 1 bit

but i have re-assembeled the bearing and it seems ok

i would rather spend 150quid on the chris king toool to be honest instead of boging

No, you'd rather your Dad fork out 150 on you.

Well I did this AGAIN at Chinner's house just 'cos I wanted a bigger penis (We all know that a louder king = bigger penis) and it sounds amazing. I stretched the spring a little and instantly it started to mis-shape so I left it. If I had £13 to buy a new spring then I'd see how far I could stretch this current one but alas I dont D:

Anyways, amazing guide :) It helped me and i'm sure it helped others.

I see it can make the king louder, but how does it make it skip less?

Kings come packed with a shit tonne of grease which cloggs it up, also over time you managed to acumilate a lot of dirt and other shit in the drive rings.

As well as this, stretching the spring forces the pawls into the hub with more force that if it was left un-stretched. This can lead to more wear from greater friction.