Forks.......

Stanners

post-5811-1246050802_thumb.jpg

As it says, i have these forks, drop off's (2006 i think) and they are too soft and i haven't a clue about suspension.......does anyone know if they are air and need to be pumped up?? or oil or anyway to harden them up....increase rebound etc......

cheers

Stanners

(Y)

I think those forks have air preload which will stiffen them up a bit but not really advisable. Unless there are two air valves (I.e. one on each leg) in which case one will be positive air (probably the right leg) which will assist the spring and make things firmer.

See if you can get a stiffer spring/springs, that's the only real way to change anything on those forks (they're fairly basic). If the rebound is working normally, then I wouldn't mess about with the oil. There's no meaningful compression on those I don't think?

cheers guys ....un yeah it has valves on either leg so think il give that a go........and yes i am on the heavy side of things.........ill look up springs now nalll

oh yeah the rebound aint great soooo what do i do with oil levels if thats wat your suggestin

cheers

Rob

Edited by Stanners

cheers guys ....un yeah it has valves on either leg so think il give that a go........and yes i am on the heavy side of things.........ill look up springs now nalll

oh yeah the rebound aint great soooo what do i do with oil levels if thats wat your suggestin

cheers

Rob

Well, your rebound has nothing to do with your springs. Your suspension is essentially a couple of springs. All the oil does is control the speed at which the spring moves down and up, by several valves.

So you have 3 things with suspension. Preload. This is down to the spring. The preload is essentially means how low the bike sits. The preload you have set (how compressed the spring is when the bike is sat there) controls the sag of the bike (how much the forks drop when bike is at rest.)

Then you have your compression, which is controlled by the oil in your forks. Your adjustments control how quickly/easily.

Last thing is your rebound. This controls how quickly the fork returns after it has compressed. Rider weight doesn't have a whole lot to do with the quality or range of rebound adjustment.

So do your forks sit too low when you sit on the bike (you should have parameters to look at on the paperwork for the forks) Is your issue that they ride too low, or that they drop too far, or too quickly?? Do they bottom out? Is the issue you have to do with them returning?

Bongo

If it's got two air valves, one will be positive air, and putting more air in there will make the forks firmer throughout the travel (Which is what you want, right?). If they're the same as my old forks (which were Marzocchi but not drop offs), then this'll be on the right leg, but you may have to experiment (or RTFM).

What do you mean the rebound ain't great? Too fast, too slow, too variable? There should be an adjuster on them somewhere to control the rate of rebound.

They sag too much and go down too easily so will bottom out, or just go down too fast, when dropping off stuff.....the rebound is there but i want a faster rebound.....

so to make them feel stiffer through out the travel and possibly sag less, i add air.......do i have to use a specific shock pump do to this?.......lbs?

ill go look for an adjustment for the rebound now......

oh and how would i adjust preload Bongo? (how do adjust all of this stuff!!)

sorry for being a pain in ze arse......im learning though lol

cheers

Rob :D

Just checked and i cant see any adjustment whatsoever. Two bolts at the bottom of each of the legs and just two valves at the top.

Edited by Stanners

To be honest you may need to find the manual because I'm very hazy on this. All forks are slightly different. There WILL be rebound adjustment somewhere - that may even be controlled via the air valve. Check the Marzocchi website, they often have manuals.

And yes, you will need a special shock pump.