Bottom Bracket Width Info Please

MikeWarner

Hi. I finished putting my new stock bike together yesterday to find that the cranks clip the Maguras. I've managed to adjust this out, but the brakes are draging a bit as a result. I took the bottom bracket out today as I figured it was too narrow. It is an FSA Platinum with a 68mm shell. It does not say the axle length on it, but it measures around 128mm. The thing is, I was expecting it to the shorter than this. In addition, the widest axle FSA do in this model with a 68mm shell is 118mm.

Is it correct to measure Isis bbs over to the total axle length, or is there some other technique I should be using?

Thanks.

Edited by MikeWarner

Is it correct to measure Isis bbs over to the total axle length, or is there some other technique I should be using?

No that's right. I see your riding the Holroyd. I had that problem once. But can't remember what i did about it. I thought it was the cranks, actually i think it was. I changed to FFW which meant crank change, which worked. I was using a Tryall rear 47mm too.

Also measure (if you can) the clearance the cranks offer. As i'm pretty sure some come further out than others.

Anyhow a few ideas:

wear the pads out to thin them up,

skinnier rear rim,

if the bb and cranks have a tight fit you may get away with a small spacer in there. but this could be potentially dangerous and f**k the splines,

if it's only one side hitting, dish your wheel over so you can move your slaves over,

That's all i can think of at the moment.

I had the same problem with mine... the crank just clipped the non-drive side magura piston. I set them both in so the pads were pushing right against the rim (only way for crank to clear brake)... by the time I rode a couple of miles like this (complete with awful noise) it was fine...re-set up after a little spin and it's ok now.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed something strange at the weekend. Turns out the Echo Magura lever when fitted slightly pushes the pads out. I'll therefore be able to undo the bleed bolt and push the pads back in a bit, allowing me to adjust for a bit of extra clearance. Fingers crossed I won't have to do anything else once I do this. Oh - and yes, the TPI is fully adjusted for maximum clearance.

I noticed something strange at the weekend. Turns out the Echo Magura lever when fitted slightly pushes the pads out. I'll therefore be able to undo the bleed bolt and push the pads back in a bit, allowing me to adjust for a bit of extra clearance. Fingers crossed I won't have to do anything else once I do this. Oh - and yes, the TPI is fully adjusted for maximum clearance.

That's sounds either real dodge or real shit. Going by what people have said about Echo brakes in general both are probably right.

Though i dunno if i read that right :S

Either way good luck. Let's hope you get riding.

That's sounds either real dodge or real shit. Going by what people have said about Echo brakes in general both are probably right.

Though i dunno if i read that right :S

Either way good luck. Let's hope you get riding.

sounds like its been overbled then :S