Does Tar Actually Make The Brakes Better Or Worse

Depends on weather conditions, brakepads compoud and how sharp ur gring is, the sharper the worse is work with tar. Brake pads sticks to the rim and reduce ur skills, so i dont recommend using it.

Depends on weather conditions, brakepads compoud and how sharp ur gring is, the sharper the worse is work with tar. Brake pads sticks to the rim and reduce ur skills, so i dont recommend using it.

thanks i have put some on and it is brilliant on my back brake thanks

Guest itstroy08

If you are planning to use tar, i would advise the standered magura pads, and there have no backings so cannot be ripped off.

I personally feel that a fizzy drink is better than tar, because if you dont like it, or you have your brake set-up incorrectly, you can simpally wash it off.

i heard about using fizzy drink an i could see sort of how it would work but is it actually any good?

i used to use tar a few years back when i first started trials an it made a massive improvement to the efficiency of my vee brakes.

I always used tar, i found that zoo pads were the best with tar. Pads designed for a grind don't work too well with tar and smooth rims. You really want a decent working brake before you put the tar on.

The problem with tar is people slap loads on, and then complain at how bad it is, tell everyone else how bad it is and it gets a bad rep.

How tar works varies on what the weather is doing. If it humid and cold it doesn't work too well. It works terrible in the rain too, in fact it probably makes the brake worse in the rain than having no tar at all. When hot, you need to put very very little tar on.

I found that applying small lines towards the center of the wheel is most definitely the best way (tire towards the spokes / width of the rim) as this way covers the rim evenly as it spreads when you brake. Applying it along the rim is the worst thing you can do as it spread ontop of it's self and this leads to poor braking, pads sticking and lack of teeth in your mouth.

So to sum up:

You need good soft pads, zoo or something similar.

When it's hot, put much much less on, remember you can add more but can't take it off.

Apply small lines perpendicular to the rim.

tar ***! i use it all year round. wind, rain, snow ect.. never have a problem. smooth rims arnt very good and ground rims are AOK. a light grind and tar is what i have now and it works great. i just put a small line of tar all the way around on both sides and the result is incredible. i tar my front too. my front also has a light grind to it and it has OK modulation but not as good as a non tared rim does.

is it any good to use tar on a rim

I used to use tar, i'd generally find that it would eventually slicken as it compounds, so it was best to strip it all off (something like cellulose thinner shifts it) and then re apply. As many have mentioned, moderation's the key. A sticky brake was just as frustrating as one which slipped.