Rounded Top Cap Bolt

calumt

Hey guys, I need some help i wont to change my stem over but my top cap bolt is rounded rather bad so wont loosen. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to remove the bolt.

Many thanks Calum x

Undo the stem bolts and turn the bar and stem round on the fork, which will turn the topcap, which should hopefully loosen the topcap bolt enough for the allen keey to find some purchase on the head of the bolt.

Undo the stem bolts and turn the bar and stem round on the fork, which will turn the topcap, which should hopefully loosen the topcap bolt enough for the allen keey to find some purchase on the head of the bolt.

Right ok sitting in my garage so i will try it and let you know how i get on. Thanks x

I love you! it worked thank you so much!

OR

Some think that crops up in most cases like this is,

post-22185-1248447486.jpg

Also as you said that it wont loosen . . . . if your bolt is spining around but just dosent loosen at all . . . . if you look in my pic you will notice the silver insert in the middle of the star nut . . .

As star nuts are cheaply made you may find that thats loose inside the black part and will just spin around for ever . . . . the only way to then get the bolt out is to hit it threw from the other side of the forks (Y)

OR

Some think that crops up in most cases like this is,

post-22185-1248447486.jpg

Also as you said that it wont loosen . . . . if your bolt is spining around but just dosent loosen at all . . . . if you look in my pic you will notice the silver insert in the middle of the star nut . . .

As star nuts are cheaply made you may find that thats loose inside the black part and will just spin around for ever . . . . the only way to then get the bolt out is to hit it threw from the other side of the forks (Y)

Ok thanks i will copy that into a word document incase it happens in the futher. Many thanks Calum x