Tensile 96 Click Freewheel

hdmackay

Hi,

Well basically I got my new freewheel today. It's one of the new Tensile 96 click ones.

And I really want this freewheel to last. And it says on Tarty always to make sure the lockring is tight.

So i'd like to know how to tighten the lockring.

tensilemod.jpg

Would I be right in thinking that that gold bit in the middle is the lockring?

If so, please tell me how to tighten it.

Thank you very much

Hunter

What do you put the screw driver in?

Those wee holes?

What type of screwdriver are you using? Doesn't like like a screwdriver would fit.

yeah this is the pain bit. you need a flathead screwdriver, and just use the corner of it. Its not ideal but it works. Failing that, a bradawl (sp) works, or a kebab skewer etc.

Just put the screwdriver blade into it, and then pedal backwards. Thats the easiest way I found with my ENO to keep it tight, gta experiment with bike/crank angles though. And make sure its in as deep as possible so it doesn't slip out and gouge some of the metal away

yeah this is the pain bit. you need a flathead screwdriver, and just use the corner of it. Its not ideal but it works. Failing that, a bradawl (sp) works, or a kebab skewer etc.

Just put the screwdriver blade into it, and then pedal backwards. Thats the easiest way I found with my ENO to keep it tight, gta experiment with bike/crank angles though. And make sure its in as deep as possible so it doesn't slip out and gouge some of the metal away

So do you need two flat heads? One for each hole?

So do you need two flat heads? One for each hole?

2 flat heads would be best, but ive only got 2 hands so I couldn't hold the 2 screwdrivers + turn the crank with my third. Nor do I have two flat head screwdrivers in my bag/car :P

Needle nose pliers dose the job in all. You can get some pliers with small round things at the end and the fit fine. And if all else fails take it to alpine bikes on the longman.

Ahh, you live in Inverness!?!

I always found it easier to tighten when it's on the crank and or on the bike. :)

YEah

So put the screwdriver in, and turn the cranks backwards?

Thanks very much guyths. :)

Ahh, you live in Inverness!?!

YEah

So put the screwdriver in, and turn the cranks backwards?

Thanks very much guyths. :)

It's either backwards, or forwards, i can never remember which freewheels have a reverse thread on their lockrings. I think the tensile is reverse to help prevent it from coming undone.

It's either backwards, or forwards, i can never remember which freewheels have a reverse thread on their lockrings. I think the tensile is reverse to help prevent it from coming undone.

I think you're right to. Stick it in and pedal backwards

How I do that - take a 2.5 mm allen key and insetr it in that hole, then hit it in the tightening direction with a hammer. And that's it.

THe thing is that yuo will not tighten it good enough by just pedaling backwords(like said above)

Edited by Dan S