Drilling Holes Into Frame?

BHKW

Are You A Weight JuNkiE?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will you do everything it takes to loose that 1gram?

• Yessss! I'm a complete weight freak!!
    • No. It's only a gram ..
    • Minimum 5 grams ..

I would just like to ask if anyone has done this before? and how much weight you have saved

is it even a good idea in the first place?

i was thinking if you could loose weight by drilling through the frame from the left all the way to the right just like some people do to the rims. Then same with the forks.

In other words ... Drill the frame where there's space.

Thats about as dumb as grinding off the tread of your tires to save weight.

It would only save a few grams. And for that you may as well take your socks off.

haha ... you'll be surprised what people will do - (By people i dont mean me)

And there ARE actually people that shave the threads of the edges of the tire to save weight.

i personally dont think frame saving weight by drilling is good.. if u wan a lighter frame just get a new lighter frame instead of weakening all the sections... i think frames are based on triangular rigidity for them to remains as sturdy as possible and drilling here and there takes that away..

When buying a frame there's 3 things. Lightweight, strength and low price.

You can only have two.

I can't think of a combo of the two where drilling would become an advantage. Just leave it along and buy lighter parts from now on.

I dont see how minus 30gms is going make you a better rider/

Well its pritty obvious, the lighter the bike, the easier its going to be to lift, so the easier it is to jump. Also the less tired your going to be humping a lighter bike around a section, rather than a heavier bike. Is this not obvious to you?

Well its pritty obvious, the lighter the bike, the easier its going to be to lift, so the easier it is to jump. Also the less tired your going to be humping a lighter bike around a section, rather than a heavier bike. Is this not obvious to you?

Is it not obvious to you that the tiny amount of weight that you would lose is not in anyway going to affect your riding?

Is it not obvious to you that the tiny amount of weight that you would lose is not in anyway going to affect your riding?

I'm under the impression you've not been riding long. In that case, yeah makes no difference. But to the big boys any advantage is worth having, be it 30g or 300g.

Like n.wood has just said, it wont really make any different too you, however i was talking on the overall factor of loosing weight! any amount of weight lost will help your riding in anyway, i dont need to explain how or why, i did in my last post!

I would just like to ask if anyone has done this before? and how much weight you have saved

i was thinking if you could loose weight by drilling through the frame from the left all the way to the right just like some people do to the rims. Then same with the forks.

I used to race rally cars. I used to drill holes in them to save weight. Someone once asked the question: 'where do all the chips go when you drill?'

If you cannot gaurantee that all waste is removed from inside the frame after drilling, then it would be completely pointless!

if i where you i wouldnt drill any holes if youdo want to loose some weight you could cut out the badge in the front of your frame. :)

Just take the weight of the bike and live with it. How a much does your bike weigh? ...20-25 pounds maybe? If so, consider yourself lucky (well, compared to me, probably the only person here who uses a mtb bike).

Drilling holes in a frame gives me the impression of a weaker frame. Don't do it... unless it's a plan to break the frame and get a new one, in which I would say go all out! :D