Portsmouth Uni Mtb Club

Alex@Flawless Bikes

Hi, I've just started at Portsmouth uni and was wanting to join the mountain bike club there. I found out today that it is £85 a year to be a member ( I know that fee covers joining other clubs as well but Im only really interested in the MTB'ing). So here's my question, is there any one on this forum that go's to Portsmouth uni and are in the MTB club that could enlighten me on if it worth forking out £85 when I can ride for free when ever I want!

Hiya Alex, im in the club, meet you last week in Pompey (riding an Echo Control). Membership has gone way up this year, but as you said it does cover other clubs aswell, things like surfing, rock climbing and pretty much any other sport. So if you want to join more than one, it will be worth it.

If you ride any other disciplines, DH/XC/Dirt jumping etc.. then its worth it, as there will be organised trips to trails/jumps which will be heavily subsidised, so if you go on a couple of these it'll pay off.

However if you just want to ride trials then i wouldnt reccommend it, the uni will pay towards competition costs (entry/travel) so if youre thinking of doing the Hampshire comps, might be worth a thought.

If money isnt an issue, then its just a chance to meet like minded people and have fun.

Even if you dont become a member, youre obvouisly still welcome to come to any rides. (should be riding every wednesday, as everyone has the afternoon off, and probaly the morning off if youre lucky!)

Jamie

We all know trials beats surfing any day! :P

So youre deffo joinging the MTB club then Simps? Saw you the otherday, was down guildhall with nathie wafie.

Surfings joy though, and they organise trips for £25 for the weekend, which is less than petrol to get there and back so I'm joining it mostly for that and rock climbing.

Oh right, yea I had just arrived an shit so i wasnt too social, but hopefully see you on Saturday have a sesh.

£85 seems pretty steep, seems like a better idea to let people pay £15 each for the clubs they actually want to use. Oh well. We used to find it amusing at uni that our bikesoc had about 50 paid members, but of the 8 people who ever did any riding, only about 2 were members :D As you have the offer to go for free, I would do that. You can always pay once you've decided if it's worth it. If all you do is meet up with friends to go riding, there's really nothing to pay for. Universities are classic for getting people to pay for all kinds of unnecessary stuff, the complaining that students don't have enough money...

Edited by scary_jeff