Changing University Course

1a2bcio8

Basically, I've made somewhat of a mistake in my choice of uni subjects. I've begun the process of trying to change courses but given the rate of applicants to places (138 to 2) and (380 to 20), I suspect that there won't be room for me on the course I would really like to study.

I'm more than a bit stressed about this due to the fact I may have to leave uni, wait another year, reapply though ucas again, lose money, etc.

I guess what I'd like is to hear about is anybody elses experience to do with this? I've read info on the net but I've not found much in the way of personal accounts.

So anything anybody has to say would be appreciated to help me understand my options, likelihoods, etc. although obviously I understand every situation is different.

Thanks in advance.

how similar are the courses ben?

Its common at my Uni, if someone does foundation year civil, they can very easily swap to mechanical engineering at the end of year 0. Ive even known friends to swap from Product design to Mechanical at the end of the FIRST year as a lot of modules are similar still.

I know its obvious, but the easiest thing is find out whos in charge of the new subject, and go speak to them and explain your situation one on one. They'll also tell you honestly if its likely you'll get in or not

at the end of the day the more students the uni has on each course, the more money they get...Theyd rather accommodate you then chuck you out

how similar are the courses ben?

Its common at my Uni, if someone does foundation year civil, they can very easily swap to mechanical engineering at the end of year 0. Ive even known friends to swap from Product design to Mechanical at the end of the FIRST year as a lot of modules are similar still.

I know its obvious, but the easiest thing is find out whos in charge of the new subject, and go speak to them and explain your situation one on one. They'll also tell you honestly if its likely you'll get in or not

at the end of the day the more students the uni has on each course, the more money they get...Theyd rather accommodate you then chuck you out

I would probably be worried less if I were staying in the faculty but I want to move from the medical and veterinary faculty (neuroscience) to the arts faculty (philosophy/theology joint honours). And additionally, there's only 2 places available on that course to begin with.

So far I've sent an e-mail to the admissions tutor asking if they could afford a place for me but I've yet to hear anything back. I've also let me personal tutor know but everybody at this uni seems to take ages to respond to communications so as of yet I have no idea what chance I have of changing.

But it's a good point that they want me for the money I bring. Things seem quite serious here so I'd kinda just assumed they'd easily get rid of me (N)

Thanks for your input :)

One of my flatmates is leaving his course because he doesnt like it but they seemed pretty keen on offering him a place on another course, though Im pretty certain there are more than 2 spaces, so this doesn't actually help at all... Sorry.

One of my flatmates is leaving his course because he doesnt like it but they seemed pretty keen on offering him a place on another course, though Im pretty certain there are more than 2 spaces, so this doesn't actually help at all... Sorry.

Thanks for trying though :P