Flex In Rear Hs33

Winnie

Alreet all,

I've recently put on a HS33 with an Evo 2 mounting kit on the rear of my Base TA26 and it flexes like a b!tch and it is really quite annoying. So, i'm thinking of taking it off and replacing it with a disc. Now, i'm vaguely aware of discs cracking frames due to their power but i don't actually know of anyone that this has happened too and i'm not sure i can put up with the HS33 being like a sponge for the foreseeable future when my front disc is nice and sharp.

So, would putting a disc on the back of TA26 be an ok think to do or will it rip the frame in two? :unsure:

The HS33 was a git to set up and i think i've done all i can with it but any advice on stuff to try to help stiffen it up is welcome too?

Cheers in advance.

Cheers lads,

I've got the Magura booster on it that came with the Evo 2 kit which i don't know if it's the best or not?

The brake is new so it shouldn't need a bleed or leak should it?

There's a chance it's not perfectly square like so i'll have a look at that. Cheers

It does appear though that the main culprit is the frame flexing out.

Cheers lads,

I've got the Magura booster on it that came with the Evo 2 kit which i don't know if it's the best or not?

The brake is new so it shouldn't need a bleed or leak should it?

There's a chance it's not perfectly square like so i'll have a look at that. Cheers

It does appear though that the main culprit is the frame flexing out.

Ahh, ok. If you can clearly see the frame flexing out then you need a stiffer booster. The Magura ones are awful to be honest. I highly reccomend the Trialtech Sport 2-bolt booster. :)

Ahh, ok. If you can clearly see the frame flexing out then you need a stiffer booster. The Magura ones are awful to be honest. I highly reccomend the Trialtech Sport 2-bolt booster. :)

Nice one, i'll take a look. :)

Any thoughts about using a disc?

Check for leaks, tighten all the barbs, fresh bleed (make sure it's airless), get a booster, set up PERFECTELY square. That WILL sort it. ;)

Agree. I wouldn't get too hung up on the frame flexing; I don't think I've ever seen a magura that could not flex the frame/fork/booster setup it was in.

yYu need a stiffer booster. The Magura ones are awful to be honest. I highly reccomend the Trialtech Sport 2-bolt booster. :)

I agree :)

I have Evo 2 mounts and I used to have a Magura booster, but it snapped. Then I got a Trialtech sport 2 bolt booster and it made a big difference to the amount of flex. (Y)

I've looked on Tarty at the 2 bolt boosters and they all seem fit brake mount spacings of 95mm plus, the Trialtech Sport booster included. The mount spacing i'm measuring on the Evo 2 adapters is around 85mm so i'm assuming Revolver is right and that other boosters won't be compatiable; however, Duncan says he has got the Trialtech one on his setup? Are there some adjustments that need to be made for other boosters to fit or have i lost the ability to use a tape measure, which i wouldn't rule out with the week i've had?! :rolleyes:

Chances are that duncans frame is wider spaced than yours in which case he is able to run the trialtech booster, as your frame is old school with canti studs and designed for narrower rims (not the 47mm monsters available now) then youre not going to be able to use any current design magura boosters. You may find that you can fit one of the old DH aluminium boosters (see pic) as theyre stiff as arseholes and designed for when maguras were used on xc bikes with standard canti stud spacings :)

magura_horseshoe_booster.jpg

Seriously though, get a vee brakes and invest in a shimano or salsa carbon booster (or any decent vee booster but those two are the best) and a set of decent pads and say hello to happy braking, speak to ali @ tartybikes for advice on vees :)

Cheers lads!

Any general recommendations for an ideal V brake?

I personally use SD7 arms with an AD7 lever, heatsink coustellier cnc vee pads (coustsink vee) on a very light grind and it works really well on the front :)

Pad choice is somewhat limited for vee brakes as there arent that many manufacturers making trials specific vee pads, all of the heatsink range is generally excellent, my yellows on the rear (magura but the same compound) are phenomenal. I understand that TNN are going to release a vee version of the LGM pads (LGV?) and there are also the inspired pads which alot of people recommend.

I think Ali recommends the new shimano xt arms as theyre slimmer profile, lever is personal choice, I find the avid ones very comfy though.

Cheers lads!

Any general recommendations for an ideal V brake?

Well... IMO the best for the money would be:

Avid SD7 lever. Only a tenner and has a barrel adjuster and a power adjustment. Great lever

Any arms should be fine to be honest, i've got SD7 arms and they are fantastic so i'd reccomend that.

Cable wise I don't much about them but the linear slics seem to be the best. I've got an oddysey one. Whatever cable you get, lube the inside to make it feel mega quick.

And pads it depends on what rim surface. I've got Plaz Crv's on a smooth rim and it's epic. Inspired Phat pads are meant to be mint aswell.

EDIT: Too slow!

Edited by hdmackay

To be honest, if you've never really owned a bike with a rear disk you can't say there shit, and I bet you couldn't even list ten reasons..........

Only two things I can think off which is bad about them for trials, is you can bend a rotor, and some frames can crack 'cause of them.

To be honest, if you've never really owned a bike with a rear disk you can't say there shit, and I bet you couldn't even list ten reasons..........

Only two things I can think off which is bad about them for trials, is you can bend a rotor, and some frames can crack 'cause of them.

So would you recommend a disc? I've been looking at the Hope Mono Trial, amongst other things?

So would you recommend a disc? I've been looking at the Hope Mono Trial, amongst other things?

Certainly would! As long as you don't get oil on the pads or disk, there great! Yeah the Hope Mono Trial is a perfect disk for the back! Pretty pricey though so it would be worth your while looking in FS topics etc.

Disks also mean:

You don't have to grind your rim, so your rim last much longer and you get to keep the coloured side walls so it looks good ;)

You only need to set them up once and if all bolts are tight it shouldn't move at all, so you don't need to re adjust it when you take your wheel on and off, and it can also make it easier to take your wheel on and off.

You can ride in the rain, as rain doesn't affect disks anywhere near as much as it does with a maggy.

And you wont have a loud brake that'll annoy the neighbours ;)