Laptop Login Problem

RossMcd

Hey!

After having serious problems with my laptop the recovery disc made its appearance once again. But I have hit a little snag once i done it and went through all the stages.. I have tryed the disc multiple times with the same outcome.

When Windows comes up with the sign in screen when you first turn it on it comes up with my name and guest.. But they both ask for a password :S

I never put in a password or anything so Im completely confused! Is there anyway to get it not to ask for a password? Because at the moment I cant even get on it to do anything!

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sounds to me like its booting into safe mode.

Type username - Administrator

Hopefully you won't require a password, these are left blank as default, so unless you changed it the password field should be left blank. If that works, let me know.

Sounds to me like its booting into safe mode.

Type username - Administrator

Hopefully you won't require a password, these are left blank as default, so unless you changed it the password field should be left blank. If that works, let me know.

That didnt work :( it should all be default. would it help reseting to default settings in BIOS?

Nope, wouldn't do anything regarding log ins.

You can restart, keep hitting the F8 key as soon as the computer turns on. You'll get a menu, select 'Start Windows in Safe Mode', this will again display a login screen - again, use the Administrator username and leave the password blank.

This should log you in without any problems. Once logged in you can go to Control Panel> Users and because you have the administrator account, you'll be able to reset passwords or (which I would recommend) create a new, fresh account.

Good luck!

That is odd :S

Usually such an error would relate to a server environment where users log into a domain (network).

Two things to check;

1. On the login screen, do you have a drop down menu (you may have to click 'Options')? This is where it'll list Domains, because you're not on a corporate network you'll require the 'Local Computer' one (usually it'll be your name in uppercase).

2. If the above doesn't work, the only thing left to do is to reinstall XP once again, however;

a. Is your disc geniune?

b. How old is your hard drive (what caused you to reinstall the first time around?)

c. Is your hard drive partitioned at all?

try safe mode, it opens the door to a hidden account and from that u can change passwords :)

:blink:

Read uppp! If it's not letting you access any account, I can only think of either a fecked install, fecked hard drive or perhaps even a partition on the hard drive.

Try with a fresh install on a new hard drive (or an old one if you have one lying around). Without access to a user or even Administrator account, there is a little you can do.