Ubuntu Help

Papa Manual

I've had non-stop problems with my laptop and Windows validation etc (long story) recently so I've switched to Ubuntu. All of a suddenly it won't detect my dvd drive yet the hardware itself whirs into life as normal and then whirs back down after a minute or so, without any nasty noises etc. It seems to be ever since I updated the Ubuntu version. I've googled no end without success. I go into the bit a click on the cdrom icon in the filesystem and a blank folder comes up! Argh this is so annoying! Anyone good with Linux?

I've had non-stop problems with my laptop and Windows validation etc (long story) recently so I've switched to Ubuntu. All of a suddenly it won't detect my dvd drive yet the hardware itself whirs into life as normal and then whirs back down after a minute or so, without any nasty noises etc. It seems to be ever since I updated the Ubuntu version. I've googled no end without success. I go into the bit a click on the cdrom icon in the filesystem and a blank folder comes up! Argh this is so annoying! Anyone good with Linux?

So you had the drive working in a previous build of Ubuntu?

So you had the drive working in a previous build of Ubuntu?

Yep, and it's picked in BIOS. I would switch back to the old version but there were problems with my sound and graphics cards. I'm not sure whether it's the upgrade that's caused this problem but it does seem like a bit of a coincidence!

I'm booted into XP at the moment, and can't be arsed to restart, but have a google on how to mount the drive through the terminal. If it's picked up in the BIOS then it's there, it just needs either mounting or drivers.

EDIT: I would tell you exactly how to do it, but I would need to check myself anyway because my terminal knowledge is minimal.

Edited by JD™