Bb5 Has Basically All Power And Stopping Elemets Are Gone

joshlyd1

Hi all i kinda rode thought a big mud pit about 17" deep and it went into my BB5 on my dj bike , i cleaned it and sanded the pads and now it does not work at ALL , help me please i dont know what to do

its a daily user and is used near busy roads every morning , if that makes a difference maybe exhaust fumes on rotor ? i dont know

any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks

Josh

Hi all i kinda rode thought a big mud pit about 17" deep and it went into my BB5 on my dj bike , i cleaned it and sanded the pads and now it does not work at ALL , help me please i dont know what to do

its a daily user and is used near busy roads every morning , if that makes a difference maybe exhaust fumes on rotor ? i dont know

any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks

Josh

You may have sanded a little bit to much of the pads, also with sanding the pads you will have to let the break bed back in again.

It could also be grit or exhaust fumes contaminating the pads and rotor, give it a couple of rides and if all else fails get some new pads.

Can you see the pistons moving?? maybe you have a leak? damaged seals from the crappy oil in the water?

new pads, new rotor and a big long hill to roll down with the break half on, its bed in time they say about 20 hours to get really bed in.

I reckon itll be the rotor. If youve got any spares or borrow one of a mate for 1 minute and see if there rotor works fine. If it doesnt it could be both the rotor and the pads or just the pads (Y)

so yeh, try this and if not do what adam said, get new rotor and pads!

Just out of interest, is the calliper loose? This sometimes can effect it.

Take the pads out, is the piston moving, if not thats your problem. (Is it called a piston on a mechanical?)

May just need a good service. Check the cable it could be snapped or very loose, the avid levers are sprung so it may not feel as though the brake is loose.

check the inside adjuster and its internals, is everything working? If not you can get replacements straight from avid.

If all of this seems to be ok replace the pads and rotor then see what happens.