Onza Skull Frame?

willis-gu

hello y'all

As i am sure all of you are aware, there have been many topics and comments made about the old style frame on the onza ice. Now with the new ice coming out they have put an extra gusset in obviously to strengthen there drop outs.

However the onza skull frame seems to have the same drop outs but with no gusset.

Are these stronger?

Was the problem just on the ice frame?

Anyone know or have an idea? Anyone got a skull frame?

Thanks willis x

I gotta skull, so far the drop outs are fine.

My concern is not about cracking like the ice frames that cracked but more about the skinny bit that runs along the bottom of the dropout.

I think there should have been a thin web there connecting the two, it would not have weighed much and would have been better.

One good bash with a pointy rock and that bit is gonna bend/crack.

I know returns numbers don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but there was about a 1%-ish failure rate on the Ice frames from the amount that were actually returned. That's pretty good, to be fair. In any case, to put people at ease they've put that extra gusset on the Ice 2, but I don't really know what the score is with the Skull frames at the mo. I'm sure Joe will be on to clear things up soon enough.

I know returns numbers don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but there was about a 1%-ish failure rate on the Ice frames from the amount that were actually returned. That's pretty good, to be fair. In any case, to put people at ease they've put that extra gusset on the Ice 2, but I don't really know what the score is with the Skull frames at the mo. I'm sure Joe will be on to clear things up soon enough.

Mark, I agree with you that 1% is a satisfactory failure rate however, a gusset on the ice2 is not much use to me, and people that already have frames with these dropouts really is it?

I'm gonna be a bit pissed off if my frame is part of the 1% :lol:

Just to recap, in case Joe is reading, which I have no doubt he is:

The ONZA Skull is a very good frame, certainly the best ONZA I have owned, but could do with:

1: A web between the skinny bit on the bottom of the drop out and the rest of it.

2: A gusset the same as the new ICE/Limey

3: A disc brake mount

If all these were put in place I would probably only buy these frames from now on, I'm happy with it as it is, but unless a disc mount turns up I'm probably gonna look at Neon, Monty or Rockman for my next frame

no but i rode like 10, and there was about 8 people on here who have cracked them who i havent ridden with.

You've ridden 10 ices?! I don't think I've rode 10 different frames.

Mark, I agree with you that 1% is a satisfactory failure rate however, a gusset on the ice2 is not much use to me, and people that already have frames with these dropouts really is it?

I'm gonna be a bit pissed off if my frame is part of the 1% :lol:

As the fact it's 1% should tell you, chances are you're unlikely to be affected by it. Equally, the gusset is more to put future customers at ease, seeing as there now seems to be a whole cult on TF of people who are utterly convinced that every Ice 2 frame is going to explode arse-first and kill whoever's riding it at the time. Onza are pretty clued up with how people talk about frames, and how rumours and opinions spread, and they're pretty aware of what's said on here so they've taken that measure purely to try and get the trust of customers in the future who might be sucked in by this talk of how all the Ice dropouts are faulty. If you've got an Ice frame already, you really don't have much to worry about.

As the fact it's 1% should tell you, chances are you're unlikely to be affected by it. Equally, the gusset is more to put future customers at ease, seeing as there now seems to be a whole cult on TF of people who are utterly convinced that every Ice 2 frame is going to explode arse-first and kill whoever's riding it at the time. Onza are pretty clued up with how people talk about frames, and how rumours and opinions spread, and they're pretty aware of what's said on here so they've taken that measure purely to try and get the trust of customers in the future who might be sucked in by this talk of how all the Ice dropouts are faulty. If you've got an Ice frame already, you really don't have much to worry about.

:lol:

This topic was basically made because i wondered if the mounts on the skull are the same as the mounts on the ice, thats all