Hope Mono Trial Brake Problems

Duncy H

Need some help with my hope brake and a quick answer please.

Ali C came round to fix something on my frame and I asked him about the problems with my brake. Just recently tonight the lever felt really hard to pull and even when I did get it pulled in it didn't really move the pads. He said having been a brake which has only been on a few days it could have been bled with the wrong fluid before I bought it and after a few days causing the seals to expand and make it feel really bad like it it.

Now I don't really have much choice but to buy myself some seals and fit and flush out the system myself as I really want to ride somewhere this weekend. Could someone give me a guide or point me in the right direction as to how i go about doing it?

Cheers

Duncan

Here's a guide -> http://steveukmtb.wordpress.com/hope-calip...nitrialsm4v2m6/

It's really simple just read through a few times first. Chain reaction stock the seals kit you'll need. Be carefully to keep your rotor well away from you while you're working on the caliper though!

On the same page, there's a link to bleeding a hope break. Just do that a few times to flush out any old hydraulic fluid, some times it turns to jelly.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Guantanamo

Thanks for that (Y) I think i'll order some tonight then. Do I need a bore cap tool to fit someseals though? Or any special tools?

You'll need the bore cap tool tool for the brake, should be listed in the guide. You'll need some ISA (somesort of cleaning alcohol, is listed in the guide) i'd advise using it instead of white spirit (which isn't, i used ISA).

Thanks

You'll need some ISA

I ordered mine online, cheap and arrived the next day. Couldn't find it in B&Q though.

Thanks for that (Y) I think i'll order some tonight then. Do I need a bore cap tool to fit someseals though? Or any special tools?

You'll need the bore cap tool tool for the brake, should be listed in the guide. You'll need some ISA (somesort of cleaning alcohol, is listed in the guide) i'd advise using it instead of white spirit (which isn't, i used ISA).

Thanks

You'll need some ISA

I ordered mine online, cheap and arrived the next day. Couldn't find it in B&Q though.

An isis bottom bracket axle fits in the mono trials bore cap...i made my own tool out of a bit of aluminium though (Y) basically a massive slightly rounded screwdriver that clamps into a vice

Need some help with my hope brake and a quick answer please.

Ali C came round to fix something on my frame and I asked him about the problems with my brake. Just recently tonight the lever felt really hard to pull and even when I did get it pulled in it didn't really move the pads. He said having been a brake which has only been on a few days it could have been bled with the wrong fluid before I bought it and after a few days causing the seals to expand and make it feel really bad like it it.

Now I don't really have much choice but to buy myself some seals and fit and flush out the system myself as I really want to ride somewhere this weekend. Could someone give me a guide or point me in the right direction as to how i go about doing it?

Cheers

Duncan

i dont mind lending you my mono trials bore cap tool , if you pay the postage......and its looked after , dont like people bodging things without proper tools if they can help it.

grant