Trials Course At Bike Radar Live 2010!

IanJohnstone

Did anyone go to Bike Radar Live this year at Donnington Park? It's the biggest bike festival in the UK and looking to be the first of many! Click the link below to see the 2009 review

http://static.bikeradar.com/news/article/b...-round-up-21832

For 2010 its going to be in Brands Hatch in Kent and there's just one thing missing... Trials! The Onza boys (Andrei & Joe) and the Animal team (Ashton, Rowan Johns, Sam Pilgrim & appearance from Danny Macaskill) were there for 09 doing a few demos but there was nothing for us trials lot to really get our teeth into.

I have been talking to the event organiser and a trials course is definitely a possibility but not without a bit of organising on my part (which I'm more than happy to do if people will come along!).

My idea is to have a course that riders of all capabilities can come and ride, with no trials licence necessary. Largely man made with obstacles to suit both TGS & street riders alike. Also a competition would be nice to get things interesting.

As BRL will have a large number of spectators I thought it would be nice to bring TGS & street riders together in competition by using one of the two below comp formats:

1. Freestyle Trials – Similar to the MAD team competitions that used to be at NASS. Where small groups of riders ride the course and are scored by a judging panel.

OR

2. Speed Trials – where riders go head to head, choosing their own line through the course of TGS and street style obstacles.

What I want to know from you guys at the moment is how many of you are interested in coming along and which comp/course format would YOU prefer? Click here for the quick poll

2009 entry cost to Bike Radar Live was £15 for a day or £25 for the weekend including on-site camping! A bargain if you ask me! A third of the price that NASS was and you get so much for your money!

Cheers,

Ian Johnstone

Edited by yain

Ian! Sounds like it's a real goer - definitely count me in. I'm not far away, being in Loughborough, so I'd love to get stuck in building the trials course and also bring Guiness on board. See if we can't set a few records whilst we're at it!

P.s: I reckon a speed trials rig, and also bring in some techy stuff too to give natural riders a chance to shine. It doesn't need to be too over the top, just enough for everyone to get a decent ride.

Im sure you could break some sort of drop gap record Mike ha ha. 2010's is down in Kent though (due to donnington running out of money to finish their race track for F1!). Im sure you'd still be up for it

Thanks for the support Mike, I need replies to show people are interested. And I need people to click on the "Click here to have your say" link, it's a quick poll so people can choose which competition format they would prefer. It takes seconds

Cheers

Ian

Edited by yain

Sounds spot on. I think freestyle would be better. Speed trials can be fun but I think it would be very hard to make a course that is fair to all riding styles. Whereas in freestyle, you can have trials and street obstacles with ramps, and then it is just down to the rider to spot the lines. I thought the Nass '05 course worked really well and was great fun!

Cool, I went to the 2009 Bike-Radar live for the whole weekend and it was awesome other than the Animal & Relentless bike tour staring Martyn Aston and Danny Macaskill and the Onza setup, There wasn't much for a Trial biker like me to watch.

I even had a go on some of the Onza Demo bike's like the Onza Limey II, but the best bike I went on was Joe Seddons Onza Limey 360 ( Which weighed a awesome 7.8Kg ). :o

The Trials Course is the best Idea ever and who ever persuades the organizers to do it deserve a medal,

Most of all next year is said to better. :turned:

Edited by Mission Prodigy Trials.

Glad to see some people are interested!

More BRL 2010 stuff has been announced! Go to http://live2010.bikeradar.com/ for details

Will have more news on the trials course & comp over the coming week but I still need to see more replies and/or votes on the poll to see if people are keen to come along & ride an open trials course...

Show your interest and help me make this happen!

Thanks

I went to Bike Radar, really enjoyed the Onza and Ashton displays but i really wanted to ride!

I think a trials area would be great, like Nass was a few years back possibly 2005? or 2004? were riders queued up and had sessions on the course, just free style open trials area. They also ran comps but i guess that does take a bit more organising. You can definitely count me in.

Edited by wally

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well not many people took the poll from the first post but logisticly a freestyle open trials course is the winner. Maybe speed trials for the year after if it goes well this year???

Things are moving on nicely and hopefully i'll have some more info to share within a few days (a few things are still unconfirmed)

A freestyle open trials course sounds fair enough, but is it a competition?

You need some sort of structure to the event to get crowd interest, rather than it just being a free for all with different levels of riders. I think it would certainly need a "Top Riders" part for invited riders only, a la Bike Show style.

We need to promote the sport in the best possible way, so lets put some thought into it.

A freestyle open trials course sounds fair enough, but is it a competition?

You need some sort of structure to the event to get crowd interest, rather than it just being a free for all with different levels of riders. I think it would certainly need a "Top Riders" part for invited riders only, a la Bike Show style.

We need to promote the sport in the best possible way, so lets put some thought into it.

Do people agree with me on this one??

Do people agree with me on this one??

Hi Andrew,

I do see what your saying there. My thoughts with the open trials course is that riders of all levels can come along and have a ride and also have a competition in there too. Much in the same way as the trials course was run at NASS in previous years by the MAD team.

To be honest I started with quite grand ideas of a 'The bike show' style courses and/or speed trials as the comp but it all comes down to money unfortunately. I have sent out info to potential sponsors for the event and am now waiting to hear back.

If anyone has contacts with a company that may help then please be in touch.

When sponsorship is sorted it could be an idea to have a demo/s from invited riders (a la bike show) for set times in the day. Leaving the course available to be riden by visitor riders in between.

Of course the course will still be monitored for safety, riders alowed on in groups. It won't just be a free for all.

It's good to know you're on board mate. As soon as I get some more details confirmed I will post them up (I've got some potentially very exciting news)

Ian