Whats The Best Trick To Learn First?

Snell

Trackstand first, then go from there. It's best to get your balance dialled before you go any bigger.

right. Trackstand with the wheel both ways. Then learn both feet forward. Then learn without brakes. Be able to hold it all ways pretty much infinitely. Ride on parking blocks and get balance DIALED.

THEN learn to get on your rear wheel. If you can be patient, when you finally do start learning to do things on your rear, it comes TONS TONS easier.

right. Trackstand with the wheel both ways. Then learn both feet forward. Then learn without brakes. Be able to hold it all ways pretty much infinitely. Ride on parking blocks and get balance DIALED.

THEN learn to get on your rear wheel. If you can be patient, when you finally do start learning to do things on your rear, it comes TONS TONS easier.

Totally agree with this, I didn't learn both feet forward so I'm stuck with left forward and I'm shitty on the right? :(

An easy thing to do is hopping on your rear wheel first pull the front brake so your back wheel goes up a little then as the back wheel comes down pull the back brake lean back and pull up the handlebars then try to hop i find it quite easy to do a few but dont expect to do about 20 straight away :P

Good Luck!

What do you mean by both feat forward?

Thanks

Edit: I get what you mean now

Yesterday i was messing about on my bike seeing if i could do any tricks and i think i can do a tiny pedal kick but only once every try.

Edited by Snell

What do you mean by both feat forward?

Thanks

Edit: I get what you mean now

Yesterday i was messing about on my bike seeing if i could do any tricks and i think i can do a tiny pedal kick but only once every try.

Trust me, if you learn that way I posted above, you'll be SUPER comfy on rocks. And pretty much any position won't feel super awkward. Especially if you practice both feet forward regularly.

I didn't mess with anything on the back wheel for the 1st month I got my bike. At all. When I did, everything came really quickly because my balance was much better because of it. I was able to pedal kick roughly 4 feet within a week. After that however, everything else is fair game.

Yeh im gonna try do what you said,

Thanks.

Oh yeah, be able to pivot on the front wheel both ways, and with either foot forward. Those two things alone should keep you more than occupied for a month. If you want to get even more ocd about it, learn to pivot both ways (and with both feet) on the rear too. For me, that was WAAAY harder than learning to pivot both ways on the front. I still can't pivot for shit both ways switch foot.

Edited by rupintart

whatever you do decided to learn, throughtout your learning curve...keep mixing it up!

try some low but narrow lines to ride along, or combining certain moves etc

yes it does help to get your trackstand dialed, but dont get too bogged down by training for the one move...it comes easily enough with time (you inadvertantly practice it all the time) and you dont want to get bored so early on.

dont worry too much about eveyone saying how they cant do x,y, or z because they didnt get their trackstand dialed! or going with thier weak foot forward etc....its easy enough to go back to basics and learn such things! learning isnt completely linear, and if you miss out a section...you can always come back to it later on (ive found that learning a new basic skill is a little easier after time - im more comfortable, aware of how it should feel and where my body should be)

i find that each time im out riding, i like to come back knowing ive improved in some way...a move improved - cleaner, smoother, less effort etc, maybe a new skill of sorts...or getting over an obstacle that i hadnt ridden before. it keeps things fresh, uses all the skills ive learnt till then, and requires me to interchange them pretty frequently

at the end of the day just make sure that youre out enjoying yourself! theres no rush