Bunny Hop To Rear Wheel

chris4stars

Right, ive read all the tutorials ive found, but this seems to be a tad too specific to get an exact answer

im new to the world of trials (only 3 days of riding since i got a trials type bike) and im pretty comfortable with some of the basics. one of the things that is troubling me though is doing a bunny hop and landing on the rear wheel

im finding that i can do the move easily enough, on flat and up to ledges of about a foot or so...but im finding that to get the pedals level when landing, im having to start the hop with my front foot (right) below the horizontal. otherwise im landing with my pedals at quite an angle (relative to the ledge) and have had the rear wheel slip from infront of me (could be the weather and the poor grip but its been 3 decent crash landings on my backside)

i wouldnt mind any advice on what is best practice, so that i dont pick up many bad habits this early on! thanks

When you start doing biggers one to back wheel and properly hold it there, you'll find that 'cos of your body position your front pedal's going to need to be a bit higher than you'd think. With bunnyhops, you should find that progress comes relatively quickly at first just because it's more of a case of getting the technique right, then just putting more power in. It's sort of different to pedal-ups and stuff where your fundamental technique changes once you start doing higher stuff, you literally just go a bit quicker and boost the shit out of it to get higher with bunnyhops - what I'm saying is that you might find it easier to land it properly if you try aiming a little higher than you're comfortable with. If you just make sure you keep your front end high you can't really go too wrong.

Got to love being back at uni with 88mb broadband you don't even notice!

Mark said with speed you get higher... if I'm hopping onto something big i generally go a little bit slower as I find it gives me time to get my shit together.

Should probably point out I don't mean you've gotta crank like a b*****d at what you're going towards - I never really went super fast at anything I was bunnyhopping up, but I'd definitely go at a different speed below bar height than I would over it.

I can bunnyhop a bit above bar height, but I still find it hard to keep it to rear. I can land it to rear perfectly, but due to the high speed the front wants to drop fairly quickly. I noticed that when I'm bunnyhopping to a ledge I feel "forced" to go to rear and it almost always sticks. You could try bunnyhopping to small ledges, it might help in the same way as it does to me.

When you start doing biggers one to back wheel and properly hold it there, you'll find that 'cos of your body position your front pedal's going to need to be a bit higher than you'd think. With bunnyhops, you should find that progress comes relatively quickly at first just because it's more of a case of getting the technique right, then just putting more power in. It's sort of different to pedal-ups and stuff where your fundamental technique changes once you start doing higher stuff, you literally just go a bit quicker and boost the shit out of it to get higher with bunnyhops - what I'm saying is that you might find it easier to land it properly if you try aiming a little higher than you're comfortable with. If you just make sure you keep your front end high you can't really go too wrong.

cheers...if the pedal should be higher when i eventually do bigger jumps then im happy with it staying there on curbs and small ledges...the only thing so far that has put me off going higher is having the rear tyle slip away again!

as for pedals ups, i think that was somthing for day 4 haha...havnt really started on those, can do them from static (regular back hops then the one push to get up the ledge) but nothing else yet!